Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Herbert Alnwick -- 11th West Yorkshires

Allan1892

Herbert Alnwick was awarded the Military Cross (Gazetted 28 December 1917). I have downloaded the war diaries but can't find any reference to him in the months leading up to him being 'gazetted'. Does anyone have any ideas?

Actually gazetted 1st January 1918, so in the New Years Honours list. Therefore may not be any specific act to be mentioned in the War Diary.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30450/supplement/30/data.pdf

He does show up on the strength of the 11th Battalion in the January 1918 British Army List, (Column 1038a).

https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/123141033

Although he is not shown as attached elsewhere, that doesn't rule out entirely the possibility. One unit in particular would be the Trench Mortar Battery of his Brigade - the 69th.

Could be worth checking out their War Diary - well at least for the period up until the Division went to Italy in November 1917.

Cheers,

Peter

Thank you Peter, I will have a look at the Trench Mortar Battery as you have suggested.

Allan

On 01/05/2021 at 15:05, PRC said:

Actually gazetted 1st January 1918, so in the New Years Honours list. Therefore may not be any specific act to be mentioned in the War Diary.

Cheers,

Peter

Peter,

You are correct in suggesting that he was awarded the MC in the New Years Honours list. I came across a full list (civil and military) of awards made in the 1918 NYH list and Herbert Alnwick was included.

Thank you,

Allan

Can anyone decipher part of Herbert Alnwick's MIC?

The two questions that I have are as follows:

• At the very top of his card : 15 Star; BW & VM -- no need to explain, but what is after VM?
  • In the box headed 'Action taken' : what are the two words below '15 Star'?

Hope someone can assist.

76399232_HerbertAlnwickmedalcard.jpg.93e66d1800baceea4db037625edb5937.jpg

4 minutes ago, Allan1892 said:

At the very top of his card : 15 Star; BW & VM -- no need to explain, but what is after VM?

"& Emblems"

4 minutes ago, Allan1892 said:

In the box headed 'Action taken' : what are the two words below '15 Star'?

"BW & VM, Emblems"

:-) M

Emblems for MiD

Two cards for 22.5.17 LG

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6299180

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6453558

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
addition

Hi

Its not directly related to your question, but I was taken by the address on the mic, Strand School, Brixham Hill. Certain of Lieut H Alnwick's papers are kept by Kings College, consisting of exercise books of plays written by him whilst at Strand School, (1924). If he was still there in 1926, his headmaster was Leonard Dawe, part time compiler of crosswords for the Telegraph and cause of the D-Day security scare.

Sorry to digress

Kind Regards

Derek

21 hours ago, Swinesheadvillage said:

Hi

Its not directly related to your question, but I was taken by the address on the mic, Strand School, Brixham Hill. Certain of Lieut H Alnwick's papers are kept by Kings College, consisting of exercise books of plays written by him whilst at Strand School, (1924). If he was still there in 1926, his headmaster was Leonard Dawe, part time compiler of crosswords for the Telegraph and cause of the D-Day security scare.

Sorry to digress

Kind Regards

Derek

Thank you for this snippet of info -- I wasn't aware that he had written any plays. I must think about contacting Kings College.

Allan