Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private M2/177136 Alexander Urquhart Army Service Corps MM

Skipman

Would there be any chance of finding out why this RASC man was awarded the Military Medal. Private M2/177136 Alexander Urquhart Army Service Corps (attached Canadians) is mentioned in a newspaper report in April 1918 which says "Wounded-Driver Alexander Urquhart MM, MTC, attached Canadians, son of Mr and Mrs Urquhart Chemical House, Kinloch Rannoch-by liquid fire in action." I assume the medal was awarded for the incident involving the liquid fire

If I knew which particular unit of the ASC, and if he was attached to the Canadians, with a date and unit I might be able to figure out any incident, but cannot find a service record that helps with his unit, there's no service record and no citation. Any help appreciated.

Mike

102061806_AUrquhartmedalroll.JPG.a8cffab893584ac5e63e884ef6ac29af.JPG

Gazette Right hand column 3/4 way down. No doubt the header will be several pages earlier so scroll back

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30389/supplement/11973

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 19 NOVEMBER, 1917. 11973

image.png.0f70fd57e7ca47f9e361aade42fbab3a.png

Mike,

This might take awhile but you could search through the on-line War Diaries of the mechanized units of the CASC. You might find him mentioned by name of at least mention of the incident. Good luck!

All the best,

Gary

MT Companies  ASC attached to Canadian Corps listed in Young:

721 Corps Troops  SC 

415 1DSC

722  2DSC

724 3DSC

785 4DSC

402 CC Siege Park

Corps Amm. Pk.

412  1ASP

723 2ASP

725 3ASP

786 4ASP

1119 Motor Mach. Gun Co

1120 Cdn.Eng. MTCo.

DSC  - Div Supp Col

ASP - Amm. Sub Pk.

Diaries available in NA on WO95/1080, 81 & 82.

43 minutes ago, jonbem said:

Gazette Right hand column 3/4 way down. No doubt the header will be several pages earlier so scroll back

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30389/supplement/11973

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 19 NOVEMBER, 1917. 11973

image.png.0f70fd57e7ca47f9e361aade42fbab3a.png

Excellent, thank you jonbem. By the header do you mean

"His Majesty the KING has been graciouslypleased to approve of the award of aBar to the Military Medal to the under-mentioned Non - Commissioned Officersand Men :—"

Thanks waggoner and thank you Dai, I will see what I can find.

Mike

Just now, Ivor Anderson said:

The MM Index Card states the unit he was with when he earned his award (TNA ref. WO 372/23/178167):

Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 16.49.48.png

Ah, Ivor, that is fantastic. Thank you very much indeed. I had completely forgotten about these cards. Much obliged.

Mike

3 minutes ago, Skipman said:

By the header do you mean

"His Majesty the KING has been graciouslypleased to approve of the award of aBar to the Military Medal to the under-mentioned Non - Commissioned Officersand Men :—"

yes

Going by H. Williamson's books I think his MM may have been for August-September 1917 (3rd Ypres).

The MM Card looks like 'attached Signal Sub section, 2nd Canadian Heavy Artillery Group'?

Edited by Ivor Anderson

1 minute ago, Ivor Anderson said:

Going by H. Williamson's books I think it may have been for August-September 1917 (3rd Ypres).

Thanks you again that's really great info, will see what I can find'

Thanks again also jonbem

Mike

Don't see a 2nd CHAG in the drop down menu. Any idea which might be the best bet here. Had a look at a couple and not seeing anything. Happy to go through them all but if anyone reckons they know the best one to start with, would appreciate help.

CEF War Diaries

Mike

temp CEF.JPG

This might be the right diary, but not sure. Will go through it and see if anything jumps out.  2nd Canadian Heavy Battery

Not quite sure in what capacity a British RASC soldier would be attached to 2nd Heavy Artillery Battery Signal Sub Section, or whether they would have a separate diary.

Mike

On 01/05/2021 at 05:12, Ivor Anderson said:

MM Card says "ASC (M.T.)" - Motor Transport? 

That's true. No diary for them i don't think. So a ASC (MT) soldier attached to  2ndCandian Heavy Artillery Battery Signal Sub Section. No idea what he would be doing or where to look. I'm in the process of getting back to the CEF Study Group Forum after losing password and various glitches, will see what they think. Meanwhile, many thnks indeed for all help and all suggestions most welcome.

Mike

1667884351_tempCEF.JPG.cc57f3ca6201168724c625d69b891d7c.JPG

Thanks again Ivor. I think those ones are for the 1st Canadian HAG but (tomorrow) I will check out the Canadian WO diaries for the 2nd Canadian Division, I had not thought to look there either. Thanks for your continued interest and help.

Mike

2 hours ago, Skipman said:

So a ASC (MT) soldier attached to  2ndCandian Heavy Artillery Battery Signal Sub Section. No idea what he would be doing

Dispatch rider?

He returned Home and lived at Chemical House, Kinloch Rannoch  Fortingall. He was on the voting census until 1939. 

1706011919_Newspaper.JPG.e8a14db8599d60ea3c4c9c9bad136ff9.JPG

Thanks ATNOMIS. Have seen the newspaper clip but had not looked at the 1939 Register.

Will have a look at the NA diaries that Ivor linked to. Also see if anyone at the CEF Study Group Forum has any thought (when access)

Mike

I've had a look at a few diaries without success. Bit of a needle in a haystack  and not sure which haystack to look in yet. When manage to access the CEF Study Group Forum will ask about there and see if can find which unit diary might be worth a look.

My continued thanks to all and will report back if find anything.

Mike

Mike,

if you posted your query here, I could repost it on the CEFSG on your behalf.

All the best,

Gary

52 minutes ago, Waggoner said:

Mike,

if you posted your query here, I could repost it on the CEFSG on your behalf.

All the best,

Gary

Thanks Gary. I'm in touch with them and hope to have it sorted soon. I registered years ago and posted quite a bit then had a password problem or some glitch. If I have any further problems i will take you up on your kind offer.

Mike