Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC panel list has a red asterisk against his incorrect name

davidbohl

Pte #38880 James Walsh King's Liverpool CWGC

This chaps physical Panel and Panel document has his name incorrectly as Welsh, J.

His soldiers effects are Welsh although his pension is Walsh.

Does the red asterisk mean they have accepted that it is an obvious error, and if so why haven't they changed it ?

Are they waiting for somebody to request it gets changed ?

Thanks

Dave

WalshJ_cwgc_panel.jpg.ec076b04398814a7fb151c3af7066a22.jpg

WalshJ_cwgc.png.2c345c32f8b17af64476ec85c6d1d399.png

I am contacting cwgc anyhow because the declared address for his parents is "12 Ound St, Great Howard St" which is I think is suspect, the only similar name is Boundary St off Great Howard St.

3 hours ago, davidbohl said:

Pte #38880 James Walsh King's Liverpool CWGC

This chaps physical Panel and Panel document has his name incorrectly as Welsh, J.

His soldiers effects are Welsh although his pension is Walsh.

Does the red asterisk mean they have accepted that it is an obvious error, and if so why haven't they changed it ?

Are they waiting for somebody to request it gets changed ?

Thanks

I read soldiers effects as Welsh  along with his MIC , medal rolls, and SDGW

although Walsh on Western Front pension document

as he served as Welsh this is the name which would be inscribed on the memorial panel

His true name, may be Walsh, or this may be an error on the dependants pension cards

There are three dependants cards for Pte 38880  with different addresses off Howard Street 

the 2nd   and third card I read as 12 Sand St off Howard Street ?

have you found him on the censuses ?

Ray

EDIT

The family can be found at 12 Sand Street Liverpool on the 1911 census  As Walsh

Edited by RaySearching

On 01/05/2021 at 03:05, RaySearching said:

have you found him on the censuses ?

Thanks Ray, yes I've got the census and his baptism which is Welsh, though his siblings are Walsh.

His parents were married as Walsh in 1893

From ancestry

WelshJ_b1897.png.e7ec41551a3c955d23ceea6f6a2f7fa3.png

As you will have seen, The family including James can be found on the 1911 census at 12 Sand Street Liverpool

His mother died at 12 Sand Street Liverpool  in 1927   

2222.JPG.de8021ec3b16074d76f71b1e7e4bed16.JPG

As The Entry on CWGC reads  Additional Info Son of James and Mary Jane Walsh, of 12, Ound St., Great Howard St., Liverpool

I assume an early transcription or typo was made and the entry above  on CWGC should read 12 Sand Street of Great Howard St Liverpool.

Ray

On 01/05/2021 at 05:06, RaySearching said:

CWGC should read 12 Sand Street of Great Howard St Liverpool.

Thanks Ray, I think I've got enough to tackle cwgc now, I've also got his eldest sisters baptism Mary Ann Walsh

So for completeness, it's WALSH, 12 Sand St, off Great Howard St.

Dave

From ancestry

1920507839_Screenshot2021-04-3019_23_24.png.4d9504ba589b0ec062a3e33a205ae239.png

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a reply from CWGC, it sounds reasonably promising:-

"Having viewed the document in question, I believe the asterisk to mean that the error had been identified and would be amended as and when the panel was replaced naturally, as was the policy at the time.

As we now have the possibility of amending names in situ, I have placed a panel amendment request into our works programme. This will be assessed by one of our works teams when they are next on site and if an amendment in situ is possible, will be carried out in due course however if it is not then sadly, it will have to remain until the panel is next replaced.

Given the present situation, I cannot say how long the process may take but should an amendment in situ be possible, I have requested a photograph of the completed work which can be forwarded on to you once received, if required.

I trust this answers your query.

Kind Regards"

• Admin
32 minutes ago, davidbohl said:

I've had a reply from CWGC,

Thanks for posting I'm sure other members of the GWF will appreciate the response as much as I do

Another mystery solved :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Dave, this thread originally caught my attention because of the surnames and my own family research, so I was following it. However revisiting it today, I see I forgot to ask you something. Is this soldier your ancestor? Regards John Welsh