Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Does anyone recognise what this is please?

Kernow69

A fairly simple  war  memento medallion.

Not particularly  sophisticated artwork with not especially good use of perspective, but the rising sun emblem does have the air of ANZAC about it.

Having said that, it was probably someone's valued possession, to remember their service during the war.

It's  a strange looking flying machine.

Monoplane rather than biplane.

Doesn't look too dissimilar to Bleriot's channel crosser of 1909.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/524528687830839327/

or

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/magazines/panache/what-you-should-know-about-louis-bleriot-the-pilot-behind-the-first-ever-overseas-flight/articleshow/59714501.cms

(apart from the absence of a propeller, undercarriage....)

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

1 hour ago, PhilB said:

Is that a zeppelin over the church steeple? Or a stain?:unsure:

A patch of tarnished metal I'd say.

There are some similarities to this French aluminium token "Journée du 75, 1914-1915" (Day of the 75 1914-1915) such as the dates, sun burst and Field Gun. 

The web site 'Le Canon 75'  enlightens us that 'The Day of the 75th' on February 7, 1915 was organized by the Touring Club of France which launched "The work of the soldier at the front". 75 refers to the French Model 1897 quick firing 75mm cannon taken as it's focal point and appearing on all fundraising items.   In the face of the success of the quest organized for the benefit of the Poilu (hairy ones), this action was in fact extended throughout 1915, with a sale of medals and badges which brought in 5,266,182 francs from the time to the date of June 10, 1915. 

There are some significant differences, notably in the quality, but it seems plausible that the OP item might be another item related in some way to this fundraising event as a dodgy 75 appears on the OP with the known dates for the event?  There appear to be several variations on the "75" Poilu fundraising theme following on .....air, orphans etc 

1338573631_Journee1914-1915.jpg.57c8c4089b9ad2733d967fd090113d8f.jpg

I reckon the aircraft in the OP is a crude representation of a 1914 Morane-Saulnier L reconnaissance monoplane.  As such I'm now having a punt on this being another French  fundraiser medal from 1914-1915 but this time for the benefit of the Armee de L'Air rather than the Poilu (previous post).  

Here's another dodgy representation of the aircraft  on similar .......... n.b. image is reversed but we have dates "1914-15".  We now have an undercarriage this time but I'm not too convinced about the propeller and the wing support cable arrangements!

1326644967_ArmeedeLAir.jpg.52817566bcca49988c6d95d3ff7a0dd4.jpg

14 minutes ago, PhilB said:

Described as a vintage French aviation medallion.

Capture.JPG

....... slightly different league to the OP PhilB.  Described as "Magnificent WW1 French Aviation Medallion with silver hallmark ......" and sold for a whopping £687.94 in 2019!  Must say the representation of the aircraft dosn't seem to get that much better for that price either.

Edited by TullochArd

Looking at the OP illustrations:

A British looking church spire, although I believe there are similar ones in North America.

A coniferous wood or forest - plenty of them in North America.

Could it be Canadian (or possibly from the USA)?

aim

22 hours ago, aim said:

A British looking church spire

I think it looks rather un-British myself.  It looks like the austere chunky gothic spires  you see in many parts of France.

On 30/04/2021 at 17:27, TullochArd said:

I reckon the aircraft in the OP is a crude representation of a 1914 Morane-Saulnier L reconnaissance monoplane.  As such I'm now having a punt on this being another French  fundraiser medal from 1914-1915 but this time for the benefit of the Armee de L'Air.  

Here's another dodgy representation of the aircraft  on similar .......... n.b. image is reversed but we have dates "1914-15".  We now have an undercarriage this time but I'm not too convinced about the propeller and the wing support cable arrangements!

Armee de L'Air.jpg

I have a postcard with a very similar plane on it, which was issued in 1915 to commemorate the death of a well known French pilot who pre-war was based near Longwy and gave flying lessons.