Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sapper 14060 Herbert Nelson Thurgood.

Mick M

The above died on 14.2.1917 having served from the start of war with 23rd Field Company 'RE. He was wounded on 29th January 1915, shot in the back and the bullet lodged against his spine and liver. The bullet could not be removed and he was discharged unfit for all service.

Herbert does not appear in the CWWGC records an ommision I have tried to rectify. I'm trying to locate his resting place which will probably involve a speculative search around cemeteries but could do with a steer where this may be.

You shouldn't need to locate his resting place to get him including on CWGC. It would be nice if you could find it, agreed, but not essential.

On the face of it, he would seem to have a good case.

Pension card gives cause of death as "Haematuria due to bullet wound in lumbar region", which would seem to meet the criterion for cause of death being directly attributable to military service. You will still need a copy of the death certificate with the cause given as something very similar.

I've moved in to the possible non-com forum as the right people are more likely to see it here.

Craig

19 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

I've moved in to the possible non-com forum as the right people are more likely to see it here.

Craig

Thanks Craig

1 hour ago, Neil 2242 said:

You shouldn't need to locate his resting place to get him including on CWGC. It would be nice if you could find it, agreed, but not essential.

On the face of it, he would seem to have a good case.

Pension card gives cause of death as "Haematuria due to bullet wound in lumbar region", which would seem to meet the criterion for cause of death being directly attributable to military service. You will still need a copy of the death certificate with the cause given as something very similar.

Is there an address with that card that's where I could focus my search. I did notify CWWGC but he wasn't added. I just wanted to pay my own respects.

A search on www.deceasedonline.com returns a burial record for Herbert Nelson Thurgood buried Streatham Cemetery(Lambeth) 09 Feb. 1917.

Deceasonline.com is a pay to view database, but if you register you can do an "advanced search", you would need to buy some credit, then each record is approx £2.50

Hope this helps

Tim.

58 minutes ago, busterfield said:

On freebmd

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

A Herbert N Thurgood who died in Wandsworth in 1917 is in their March entries.

I hadn't seen that source, thank you, I have emailed the author of that entry.

18 minutes ago, Woodnbits said:

A search on www.deceasedonline.com returns a burial record for Herbert Nelson Thurgood buried Streatham Cemetery(Lambeth) 09 Feb. 1917.

Deceasonline.com is a pay to view database, but if you register you can do an "advanced search", you would need to buy some credit, then each record is approx £2.50

Hope this helps

Tim.

Brilliant, thank you Tim.

1 minute ago, Woodnbits said:

Just looked again

image.png.985477cc3c1cb62ea6f31c22fe33ca7b.png

Thanks for that

I would be happy to do the burial record for you as I have a sub for DOL

Chris