Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What does RNASD stand for?

domwalsh

Royal Navy something or other? A marine I'm researching worked as a skilled labourer there after leaving the corps

Cheers 

Dom

Was it in Cornwall? If so then I’d suggest the Royal Naval Air Service Depot, Tregantle & Withnoe (1917). Later retitled  RAF Depot.

MB

It depends when your man was discharged. If post- Zeebrugge (or post 1 April 1918) then the RNAS had ceased to exist. Can you give a date and some context please, Dom?

Royal Naval Armament Stores Depot would fit, but the term is either a RNAD or a RNSD. The successor function, the RNSTS, got into hot water in the 1990s for overspending on an anniversary banquet, I seem to recall.

Having a poke around the Internet......the renaming of the Royal Naval Ordnance Stores Department to the  Royal Naval Armament Supply Department (RNASD) in December 1918  may be a clue.  As H2 says we need a bit more information to help.

14 hours ago, Lawryleslie said:

Having a poke around the Internet......the renaming of the Royal Naval Ordnance Stores Department to the  Royal Naval Armament Supply Department (RNASD) in December 1918  may be a clue.  As H2 says we need a bit more information to help.

The RN supply departments, including the Armaments department were civilian.

Thanks all. The ref in question is from the 1939 register for Gosport which notes his job as:

"Skilled labourer (heavy wa???) RNASD"

In lighter pencil, someone has added EDN  just before RNASD

Actually, just noticed that another person further down the list is noted as being  "General labourer armament RNASD"  so that supports your suggestion.

Your question relates to 1939 register, well outside the scope of WW1

There was an RNAD at Gosport which would support the RNSD. Was he a civilian when the 1939 register was produced?

49 minutes ago, healdav said:

The RN supply departments, including the Armaments department were civilian.

He was a civilian according to the OP.

Yes he was civilian in 1939.

I apologise for going beyond the Great War but I find members are more knowledgeable than any other forum!

• Admin

Members may continue this discussion via private message, but as it outside the forum's period this will have to be locked.

• DavidOwen locked this topic