The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WWI german bayonet acceptance marks

Flintlock

Hello

Hope someone can help. Would anybody know how many and where acceptance stamps would be impressed on a wwi 1898/05 1916 bayonet. I’ve been offered one that is described as having “acceptance stamps all over including both sides of each grip screw also each side of the throat of the scabbard bears acceptance stamps”. I’m concerned that this plethora of marks may point to an over enthusiastic Eastern copy. 
Any comments would be appreciated. 
Thanks

John

There are many others on forum here who should be thought of as expert from the amount of research they do for these post. I am not one of them, but from what I have seen on other bayonets, at least one on the back / flat of the blade, most, maybe all ? Makers when their bayonets are inspected, both screw heads and both washers, the screw heads usually get worn away, being so small of stamps. The Back side of pommel usually has 2,side by side, but I have seen with only one. I have seen some 98/05’s with acceptance stamps on bottom front of the cross guard, but most I have seen, have been plain. Maybe depends on the German state?

This would make 8. But I am still learning here

Good luck

On early production all parts should be inspector stamped, blade, crosspiece, lug with press button, screws, pommel, rifle slot, mouth piece and ball finial of scabbard. 

Edited by AndyBsk

Thanks for your replies Steve1871 and AndyBsk much appreciated. I’ve attached a photo of the maker’s mark and on comparing it to other photos on the web I’m not sure if it’s correct. I know nothing about the consistency of marks but on looking at the attached the “v” part of the “m” in simson the point doesn’t appear to extend far enough down as other examples?

What do you think please?

E03BB4F9-AE14-4620-A6D8-0DE91DF6333B.jpeg

variation of Simson Suhl marking, stamp is used for some bunch of bayonets, then it would be worried of and replaced with a new one, which could be not total identical. Simson is one of greatest producer, question if its a 1916 dated S98/05nA so the number of stamps by inspector would be simplified, no on screws and countersunk or press button, maybe only 1x on pommel, not on crossguard? . Should be compared with similar period piece.

Thanks Andy B. It’s described as a 1898/05 bayonet 1916. One edge of the blade is stamped W 16 and the opposite edge is stamped 46. 

56C25DF4-E435-4E94-9337-00967F87E765.jpeg

M inspector stamp should be on all parts. when flashguard on spine of handle your piece should be S98/05nA - or new Modell post 1915.