Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

travelling in France and Belgium any updates?

chaz

just wondering what the restrictions are like or looking likely for France and Belgium in the next 6 months?

I know its a bit of guess work , but, last weekend I read a couple of motorcycle protests took place in Lille and Amiens apparently upto 1000 riders who were demonstrating about having to get MOT (Technical Control) every two years as they were previously exempt.

I was led to believe groups of more than 3 bikes were not allowed around the Pas-de-Calais, we still have 6 trips on the shuttle to use and the tag not returned yet.

not looking for guesses just information on what its like or being proposed over there as we have to close our bank account as well and do we get refunds on the unused shuttle tickets and possibly have a look around the border area.

Edited by chaz

Chaz

Six months is a long time both in pandemics and politics, both of which are in play here. We should know this week if we are being let off the leash a bit, but it may be according to region or even département. I am in the Île de France and I don’t know yet if I can drive an hour up the motorway into Normandy next week to play golf. We have our regional elections in June which could also influence things. Vaccinations are progressing (I had my second one today) but we are still getting around 30,000 cases a day. France is working on some sort of Covid passport but it looks like it will be only for within the EU to begin with. Macron (the French president not the rugby shirt) should reveal plans in the next few days for a phased opening up between the beginning of May and the end of June. More than that I cannot add.

Cheers Martin B

thanks Martin

Our tickets have already been extended a year so dont know if the Eurotunnel plans to extend again or better to refund everybody.

will keep an eye on FranceBleu meantime.

Edited by chaz

In Belgium, since this week you're allowed outside in groups of 10. 

Terraces of restaurants and bars will be open again from 8th may on. 

Masks are still the norm pretty much everywhere, but entering the country is still subject to measures WRT the Passenger Locator Form. 

For that, better visit the site of the ministry of foreign affairs: Travel to Belgium | Federal Public Service Foreign Affairs

M.

Since a regular vacation holiday will not be possible this year, I do hope I can make the trip to the Somme I had to cancel last year sometime in the summer. If vaccinations keep at the current rate things should slowly go back to normal-ish by then.... I hope

Latest plan from France revealed by Macron in a press interview is for foreign tourists subject to proof of vaccination, previous infection or negative for the virus from Blaydon Races Day, the 9th of June, if the overall health situation allows it. Restaurants and cafes will be more or less back to normal operations by then but a nine o’clock curfew will still be in place.

Cheers Martin B

2 hours ago, spof said:

This is new

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/03/eu-plans-to-reopen-to-fully-covid-vaccinated-foreign-tourists-from-june

The EU would reopen to holidaymakers from countries with low Covid infection rates such as the UK, and to anyone who has been fully vaccinated, by the start of June under a European Commission plan.

IF the plan is approved, and IF countries take it up. At the moment, no plan has been apporved by the Council of Ministers, and each country is doing its own thing.

We cannot proceed on the basis that a variant may come along that gets through the vaccine. As far as I am aware no variant so far found makes a covid vaccine any less effective than a flu jab. The issue in France is that the 30000 new cases daily comes from about 300000 tests. So 10% or approaching are positive. Our rate is now about 0.2% of tests.  We still have about 15 million adults unvaccinated. However, they are not the vulnerable. 

I am thinking of waiting a few months until all UK adults are about done with Jab 1. There can be no possible reason not to allow us to travel in the EU at that point. 

So as at last week 1 in 1000 people were believed to be infected in England (ONS figures)

Going forward we have to rely on vigilence rather than keep restrictions that will in a couple of month serve no immediate useful purpose. The public will not stick it for much longer - deaths are getting low - about 100 last week. No one cares when 100s a week are killed by flu in a normal winter.

The difference between now and last summer is the vulnerable are protected by the vaccine. My second one is tomorrow morning. 

I have lost the last 2 from the previous generation due to the disease and even I think it is approaching the time to move forward. More vaccination in Europe would help of course.

My fivepennyworth!

I read that there is now a condition called Covid Anxiety Syndrome. Basically folk who, despite having been vaccinated, are struggling to return to anything like their normal lives.

17 hours ago, sassenach said:

I read that there is now a condition called Covid Anxiety Syndrome. Basically folk who, despite having been vaccinated, are struggling to return to anything like their normal lives.

It's going to be difficult while some intellectuals are complaining that if you can travel because you have been vaccinated it is discrimination against those who haven't been vaccinated.

Next week: Good health is discriminatory against the sick. All medical care is to be closed down.

Edited by healdav

44 minutes ago, healdav said:

It's going to be difficult while some intellectuals are complaining that if you can travel because you have been vaccinated it is discrimination against those who haven't been vaccinated.

I can understand (up to a point) those who want the jab but haven't yet had it feeling a bit irked, but have less sympathy for those who haven't been jabbed by choice.

1 hour ago, sassenach said:

I can understand (up to a point) those who want the jab but haven't yet had it feeling a bit irked, but have less sympathy for those who haven't been jabbed by choice.

I can^t get it at all. It's always the same today. Someone is being discriminated against. Should we, perhaps, close down all medical facilities, because they discriminate against those who help pay for them, but not being ill never use them?

healdav you make a good point. To me the logic that because some cannot do something no one can is deeply flawed. It is just the luck of the draw; not discrimination. Discrimination is when you deprive someone of something due to their colour, gender, etc.  purely because of that fact. This is not the case here

Older people have been the most at risk. Younger people have done most of the spreading. It is just the way it is. I am not blaming anyone for that. 

Those who decide not to vaccinate put themselves and others at risk, So that is their choice but they must face the consequences of that choice. Again they are not being discriminated against. 

Now fully jabbed!! 

Just one UK death announced yesterday. The authorities will find it increasingly hard to justify continued restrictions if things continue like they are

• Admin

Mark

I wasn't singling out any individual poster, it is just that the thread has meandered from definite advice about travel options to other matters.

In summary, there are plans for the EU yo open its borders in June but there is not yet any detail on who will be permitted to enter. When that detail emerges, there will likely be another thread so I will lock this one for now.

Glen

• spof locked this topic