Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officers sword, identification of officer

garfyboy

Hi all

i have had this sword for some time and wondered if it is possible to find the recipient or the owner from the details inscribed, obviously a pre Great War sword, a rough date would be nice to know but would the officer have gone on to serve in the Great War? it is engraved ‘From J F CANE’ certainly looks like a J F, and then initials of CEM , the recipient? 

thanks in advance

Andy

6CD8F073-D8C5-4C02-BE4D-C974BE40F8AB.jpeg.a555f65a260d72e841cee64965d27e26.jpeg

6DF9A8BD-4D6C-469B-868B-4E5A583CE8A2.jpeg.66fb9a98d04224fa5587bd3178a7e052.jpegF28ECE20-3F30-43DE-9A85-D23FCDBED25F.png.53fd738685832de1f95af973dadff62e.png

0999EDE5-C9ED-4519-A752-C6FE9E539D8A.jpeg.adc104a1142871aefd1dfc10f6576e2e.jpeg

91FD7B16-B848-4D5E-BFD3-1594599EA9E1.png.9efa5ad819ce2fd65f780507e0817fcf.png

84A0FCB2-E23D-4BBB-9EBF-283A7CB39519.png.f106b3b0dfd1c5fd9f4d7e5b1b95dc52.png

2 hours ago, garfyboy said:

6DF9A8BD-4D6C-469B-868B-4E5A583CE8A2.jpeg

84A0FCB2-E23D-4BBB-9EBF-283A7CB39519.png

VR – so from Victoria’s reign? And J F Cane was a Major at the time the sword was gifted.

Hart’s 1900 Army List doesn’t show anyone with the surname Cane on the Active or Retired lists and no other candidates brought up by a computer search of the document.

Skipping back to Harts’ list for 1890 the Active list has three Cane’s – the Reverend A.G, Robert Emmet and Stopford. But none on the Retired List. Again, no other candidates brought up by a computer search of the document.

Going back to the 1880 edition, the Active List has the same three plus a Claude R.J.

Also has no other candidates brought up by a computer search of the document.

Final check was Harts’ Annual Army List for 1870. That has Robert Emmet and Stopford on the Active List. And nothing additional brought up by a computer search of the document.

May be all sorts of reasons why Major Cane doesn’t obviously turn up on those selected editions of Hart, either active or retired. If his service was pre-1870 then the sword could have been given to a grand-son\nephew or at a school presentation, making it possible it was used in the Great War. But without knowing who Major Cane was it will be very difficult to establish candidates from his family tree or regiment, or by searching newspapers for reports of the presentation.

I did try a London Gazette check for both a Major John Cane and a Major James Cane, but had no luck.

So sorry, no steps forward with the identification of the two individuals concerned, but hopefully a few lines of enquiry closed off.

Cheers,

Peter

4 hours ago, PRC said:

VR – so from Victoria’s reign? And J F Cane was a Major at the time the sword was gifted.

Hart’s 1900 Army List doesn’t show anyone with the surname Cane on the Active or Retired lists and no other candidates brought up by a computer search of the document.

Skipping back to Harts’ list for 1890 the Active list has three Cane’s – the Reverend A.G, Robert Emmet and Stopford. But none on the Retired List. Again, no other candidates brought up by a computer search of the document.

Going back to the 1880 edition, the Active List has the same three plus a Claude R.J.

Also has no other candidates brought up by a computer search of the document.

Final check was Harts’ Annual Army List for 1870. That has Robert Emmet and Stopford on the Active List. And nothing additional brought up by a computer search of the document.

May be all sorts of reasons why Major Cane doesn’t obviously turn up on those selected editions of Hart, either active or retired. If his service was pre-1870 then the sword could have been given to a grand-son\nephew or at a school presentation, making it possible it was used in the Great War. But without knowing who Major Cane was it will be very difficult to establish candidates from his family tree or regiment, or by searching newspapers for reports of the presentation.

I did try a London Gazette check for both a Major John Cane and a Major James Cane, but had no luck.

So sorry, no steps forward with the identification of the two individuals concerned, but hopefully a few lines of enquiry closed off.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Peter

Many thanks for the research, great work and indeed it does close off a few lines of enquiry, there have been a couple of other responses that i will look at now, it may be along shot this one but it has to be worth a try

thanks again

Andy

4 hours ago, reese williams said:

If it is a Wilkinson, as it appears to be, there should be a number on the spine. With the number you can contact https://www.armsresearch.co.uk/Wilkinson Swords/Wilkinson Swords.htm

Not a free service but may provide information on who bought the sword originally.

Hi Reese

Yes it is a Wilkinson and it does have a serial number, thank you for letting me know about this, i will give it a go

Andy

3 hours ago, PhilB said:

This from 1833. The Court Journal. From 23rd Foot to 2nd West India Regt.

Capture.JPG

Hi Phil

Thanks for that, looks promising, is there any chance you post a little larger please as i am unable to blow it up to read it

Andy

Sorry, Andy, I can’t but you know the main things - 1833, 23rd Foot and 2nd West India! It puts the sword to somewhere around 1850?

That’s fine phil, great help, I will check the Wilkinson serial number and see what that brings up

andy