Remembered Today:

Mesopotamia, British Army Signals map 1916

Haworth

This is from an original map kept by my great uncle and labelled 'important' ! It will have been used on the journey up the Tigris with 1/6th South Lancs. before reaching Baghdad in 1917.

basra to kut big.jpg

Thanks for posting. Your map must be quite rare.

The numbering with a TC, or Tigris Corps number, shows that the map was one of  those produced by  the Survey of India, so it's not as your  topic heading states, a British Army Signals map.

The history of the Survey of India  during the war is available online

Records of the Survey of India, Volume 20. The War Record 1914-1920 1925. If the download button does not display, locate in Books/Survey Of India, or Direct link PAHAR Mountains of Central Asia Digital Dataset. Google Books version, Public Domain in USA. Work of Royal Engineers of the Survey of India mapping in various theatres of war, in Mesopotamia, Kurdistan, Macedonia, Arabia, Persia, Palestine, East Africa and Afghanistan.

Maps for Mesopotamia, not generally available online, are to be found in The National Archives[UK] series WO 302

As you map seems rare, perhaps you would consider uploading your map (and any others you may have) to the Internet Archive, Archive.org, There is a category Community Images.  They then would be permanently available online.

https://help.archive.org/hc/en-us/articles/360017788831-How-to-upload-files-to-create-a-new-item-page-  "How to upload files to create a new item page"

Maureen

Thank you. That is very interesting. It has been in a file for years, so I will take the time to save and send it properly for greater access. If I can alter the description here I will do that too.

Christine

Thank you for sharing that map. In the early days of the campaign, maps were pretty crude and vast areas had no survey. That section you show covered from Amara to Kut and is the ground fought over successfully in 1915 by Townshend, unsuccessfully (in terms of the Relief Force objective) but gallantly early 1916 then again successfully late 1916 and on to Baghdad 1917! The huge effort of preparation by Maude's Tigris Corps  will have included improving maps but the explanatory note at the foot of yours shows just how incomplete the information was.

782483260_MespotMapOct1916fromGWF.JPG.090978006b08b001ce56c91e8d5c521d.JPG

Charlie

Yes indeed. My great uncle served with the 1/6th South Lancs and he managed to follow this route driving ammunition and general stores wagons over the desert as far as Adhaim Bend. He died of his wounds after hand to hand fighting in April 1917. Heaven knows how the various relief forces orientated themselves in the midst of alternate sandstorms and flooding. 

Christine

On 29/04/2021 at 01:16, Haworth said:

Thank you. That is very interesting. It has been in a file for years, so I will take the time to save and send it properly for greater access. 

On reflection, if you are going to upload to the Internet Archive, I think it would be better to try to do it as a Text, as , once uploaded it seems it would be easier to enlarge the map if it was done as a Text.

https://archive.org/details/opensource?tab=about

Maureen