Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant Thomas Edward Pennington, RFC/RAF Russian A.M.

mhifle

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone would know what 'Russian A.M.' means in this service record for Lieutenant Thomas Edward Pennington

Regards Mark

AIR 79/102/7827

841934340_AIR79-102-7827.jpg.b8089cc20bdb868ea654efbfe4fc8895.jpg

I was thinking Air Ministry, but did Russia have an Air Ministry? Or was there a Department dealing with Russia at the Air Ministry

There is a Russian pilot commemorated by the CWGC at Southall Cemetery. Andrei Matianovich Novikov died on 25 September 1917. I have been curious as to the circumstances of this man being present in the UK, and wondered if there was some sort of Flying School.

Your man's presence with the 'Russian A.M.' from 19 October 1916 to 22 December 1916 is a short period of time. Could there have been an "Aviation Mission", alongside the British Military Mission, or was the R.F.C. too junior to warrant such a presence?

Thanks.

I think the OBE is for another Thomas Edward Pennington. The other award would be his.

He served as an Intelligence Officer with the RAFVR during WW2

Regards Mark

On 25/04/2021 at 23:57, Keith_history_buff said:

Could there have been an "Aviation Mission", alongside the British Military Mission,

That looks a useful guess ? or could it be Air Mission. For example there was a Russian Naval Air Mission to London in 1916, headed by Victor Dibovsky

Interesting to see that his RAF Service record notes permanent address as Petrograd.

Doubtless you already have this, courtesy RAFMuseum  CasualtyForms:

_Forms_CF30749.jpg.e1d56f9a677a7ef7c5b5a0a698b3ea70.jpg

Thanks for the information. Yes I had noted the address. He was also born in Russia. Later in the war he is attached to MI5 and served in Southern Russia in 1919

Regards Mark