Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Joseph Lax 5th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Dirty Harry

Hiya,

i came across a record on FWR for the above gentleman that states he was attached to the 67th Field Company RE (MH106/1323) in September 1916 (he was admitted to 27 CCS with Malaria).  THe 67th belongs to the 11th Division which never served in Salonika.  He was either attached to the 65th or 85th FC of the 10th Division.  To correct FWR record they have asked me for sources to cooberate my reasoning.  Now whilst it has been easy to prove where the 11th Division and 67th FC where in 1916 I can find only one document on the 65th FC but, as with most documents relating to Salonika it is so rare to be only available in a few national libraries.  I can find nothing on the 85th FC.

Does anyone know if some information I could use?

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Harry,

1. 5th Bn the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers were in 10th Division in Salonika, reference Appendix 2 Order of Battle of the British Salonika Army, December 1916 p367 'Official History of the Great War Military Operations Macedonia' volume 1 by Captain Cyril Falls.

2. 65th Field Coy RE, p178 'Official History of the Great War Military Operations Macedonia' volume 1 by Captain Cyril Falls 

3. 65th Field Coy RE, p39, 104 and 138 'Under the Devil's Eye - Britain's Forgotten Army at Salonika' Alan Wakefield & Simon Moody

4. 27th CCS,  p175-6 'Under the Devil's Eye - Britain's Forgotten Army at Salonika' Alan Wakefield & Simon Moody

Hope this helps.