Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My great-uncle's role in the Great War.

Harlosh

Morning everyone,

I'm not sure anyone will be able to help with this request as I've tried Ancestry, Find My Past, National Archives and ScotlandsPeople to no avail.

I know his name and place of birth but there is no record, at least that I can find, of his dates of birth and death.

Even a very extensive family tree did not have his dates of birth and death suggesting his records have been lost.

He was said  to have been gassed and kept prisoner of war and 'never the same' on his return.

It is known he served with the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders.

Seems such a shame  that he disappeared into the ether.

Does anyone have any tips for me to try and find more about him? 

Regards.

6 minutes ago, Harlosh said:

Does anyone have any tips for me to try and find more about him? 

Give the forum a name, light blue touch paper and stand well back :)

(A brief summary of what you do know wouldn't go a miss - if he's in a family tree then you must have some rough time and place information for him).

Cheers

Peter

Thanks Peter,

Much appreciated.

He was Donald Macpherson, born no earlier than 1894 (and probably no later than 1900 given the rate his siblings appeared!) on the Isle of Skye.

If his parents names would help I have them. Believed to have died, assume on Skye, in the 1950s.

He had a brother also in the A&SH.

Regards.

Hello again Harlosh,

2 hours ago, Harlosh said:

It is known he served with the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders.

How do you know? How certain?

2 hours ago, Harlosh said:

He was said  to have been gassed and kept prisoner of war and 'never the same' on his return.

How known?

23 minutes ago, Harlosh said:

If his parents names would help I have them.

Yes please, may help.

:-) M

In ICRC records found one Donald Macpherson, A&S & POW but seems born 1898 in, and NoK, at Kincraig [which as far as I can tell is not Skye]

Cameron Highlanders - 30709 and A&S - S/40842, 30666

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/4038128/3/2

???

In WFA/Fold3 pension cards found one Donald Macpherson, A&S, S/24464 but his details are not much

Z Reserve transfer disability claim from 12-2-19.

and only gives an address of C/o Green, 11 Regent Murray Street, Overnewton, Glasgow

???

The/A Macpherson 15427as mentioned by Matlock in the Cameron Highlanders was born,Harlosh 22/2/1893 was captured 28/3/1918. In ICRC as Royal Highlander, but MIC 15427 gived Cameron Highlanders.

Hi again Matlock,

Re your first question: there's a photo of him in the family tree saying he was wearing the general service uniform of the A&SH.

2nd: passed by word of mouth but the family tree mention the PoW status.

3rd: Alexander Macpherson & Catherine Macdonald.

Just now, Harlosh said:

there's a photo of him in the family tree saying he was wearing the general service uniform of the A&SH

Not sure I would be able to access it but others here on GWF may be able to and to check the veracity of A&S as a starter.

Can you post a link to the tree - or probably better still the photo - for the likes of me/others?

If he was taken prisoner of war in the Great War while serving with the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, (a big assumption), then we can start narrowing down the Theatre of War by looking at those Battalions that went overseas .

1st Battalion: France & Flanders

2nd Battalion: France & Flanders

1/5th: Gallipoli, Egypt, Palestine and France & Flanders

1/6th: France & Italy

1/7th: France & Flanders

1/8th: France & Flanders

1/9th: France & Flanders

10th: France & Flanders

11th: France & Flanders

12th: France & Flanders then Salonika

14th: France & Flanders

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/princess-louises-argyll-sutherland-highlanders/

France & Flanders is much the most likely theatre for him to have been gassed.

The International Committee for the Red Cross, (ICRC), has 4 records for men serving with the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders whose surname began MacP \ McP and who were captured on the Western Front. However there is only the one Donald MacPherson – the man already identified by @matlock1914

There are no obvious candidates captured at Salonika , or Gallipoli, Egypt & Palestine.

It would seem if he was captured while with the A&SH it was late on in the war when the reporting system was starting to break down, (which would be slightly at odds with a man affected long term by captivity), or somehow he was missed from the repatriation reports, or he was actually serving with another unit.

So I’m afraid more clues required. Could you confirm the parents survived the war years and roughly where they might have been living during that period.

Cheers,

Peter

5 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Not sure I would be able to access it but others here on GWF may be able to and to check the veracity of A&S as a starter.

Can you post a link to the tree - or probably better still the photo - for the likes of me/others?

Hi Matlock,

The tree is in paper form as it was completed in the days before the internet!

I'll try and post the photo soon.

17 minutes ago, PRC said:

If he was taken prisoner of war in the Great War while serving with the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, (a big assumption), then we can start narrowing down the Theatre of War by looking at those Battalions that went overseas .

1st Battalion: France & Flanders

2nd Battalion: France & Flanders

1/5th: Gallipoli, Egypt, Palestine and France & Flanders

1/6th: France & Italy

1/7th: France & Flanders

1/8th: France & Flanders

1/9th: France & Flanders

10th: France & Flanders

11th: France & Flanders

12th: France & Flanders then Salonika

14th: France & Flanders

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/princess-louises-argyll-sutherland-highlanders/

France & Flanders is much the most likely theatre for him to have been gassed.

The International Committee for the Red Cross, (ICRC), has 4 records for men serving with the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders whose surname began MacP \ McP and who were captured on the Western Front. However there is only the one Donald MacPherson – the man already identified by @matlock1914

There are no obvious candidates captured at Salonika , or Gallipoli, Egypt & Palestine.

It would seem if he was captured while with the A&SH it was late on in the war when the reporting system was starting to break down, (which would be slightly at odds with a man affected long term by captivity), or somehow he was missed from the repatriation reports, or he was actually serving with another unit.

So I’m afraid more clues required. Could you confirm the parents survived the war years and roughly where they might have been living during that period.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Many thanks.

Both his parents died in 1927. In the tree, as with some others, it says below the mother's name O.SE. Don't know if that's significant.

Regards.

42 minutes ago, busterfield said:

The/A Macpherson 15427as mentioned by Matlock in the Cameron Highlanders was born,Harlosh 22/2/1893 was captured 28/3/1918. In ICRC as Royal Highlander, but MIC 15427 gived Cameron Highlanders.

Many thanks busterfield,

Harlosh has a strong family connection but his nearest and elder sibling was born in 1894.

His brother's DOB was 20/02/1894.

Tree says Donald was born in Duntulm, I assume the place on Skye, and died at Edinbane hospital, again assume the town on Skye.

Many thanks for your help and interest.

Regards.

36 minutes ago, busterfield said:

Macpherson 15427as mentioned by Matlock in the Cameron Highlanders was born,Harlosh 22/2/1893 was captured 28/3/1918. In ICRC as Royal Highlander, but MIC 15427 gived Cameron Highlanders.

???

Did I find him?

At ICRC I can currently only find a D, McPHERSON, 15427, 7/Cameron Highlanders - repatriation record - where did you find the other details?

ICRC can be a real challenge - not withstanding Mac/Mc.

Can you post a link to ICRC please?

Can find a MIC for Donald Macpherson 15427, Cam H and a disability pension ledger card for Donald McPherson 15427 Cam H - Born 1893, Address(es) Neilston Rd, Paisley/Balmore, Harlosh by Dunvegan, Skye/ C/o Christie, Fergustie, Paisley - Disability was Gastritis

???

There is a SR for 15427 with a father Alexander Macpherson but again a Paisley address in it.

I'm not sure about this man

???

2 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

???

Did I find him?

At ICRC I can currently only find a D, McPHERSON, 15427, 7/Cameron Highlanders - repatriation record - where did you find the other details?

Can find a MIC for Donald Macpherson 15427, Cam H and a disability pension ledger card for Donald McPherson 15427 Cam H - Born 1893, Address(es) Neilston Rd, Paisley/Balmore, Harlosh by Dunvegan, Skye/ C/o Christie, Fergustie, Paisley - Disability was Gastritis

???

There is a SR for 15427 with a father Alexander Macpherson but again a Paisley address in it.

???

Good grief Matlock,

You might have found him.

There are strong connections to Paisley/Balmore, Harlosh by Dunvegan, Skye. 

Christie surname is in the tree.

Donald's father was Alexander who also had connections with Paisley.

Matlock, are you asking me to post the ICRC link?

Apologies for my ignorance, I'm not that familiar with forums/this site.

Regards.

On 23/04/2021 at 00:10, Matlock1418 said:

???

Did I find him?

???

???

With the same name and service number as your MacPherson from the ICRC records for the Cameron Highlanders, there is a Macpherson in the ICRC records in the Royal Highlanders. I copied the link, but forgot to paste on my posting. My mistake, along with "gived".

macpherson.JPG.5b75789cc616f70f83350b3eff2c9bb5.JPG

1 hour ago, Harlosh said:

IMG_20210422_143206125.jpg

@FROGSMILE

Certainly very more your field than mine ;-)

Wonder if you could please help here - trying to identify the regiment

OP has been lead to believe Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders

A quick websearch rather suggests to me Cameron Highlanders - but only based on a longer curved CAMERONS shoulder title [compared to a shorter straight A&SH] - the tartan leaves me floundering though.

??

Thanks in anticipation.

Edited by Matlock1418
Corrected to A&SH

On 23/04/2021 at 01:27, Matlock1418 said:

@FROGSMILE

Certainly very more your field than mine ;-)

Wonder if you could please help here - trying to identify the regiment

OP has been lead to believe Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders

A quick websearch rather suggests to me Cameron Highlanders - but only based on a longer curved CAMERONS shoulder title [compared to a shorter straight AS&H] - the tartan leaves me floundering though.

??

Thanks in anticipation.

Hello M, yes I too think that he’s a Cameron.  I don’t see anything unusual about his kilt, it’s how I’d expect it to appear with orthochromatic film rendering the yellow lines indistinguishable.

FAEFFC49-C690-4E87-865D-AC6F8F84E46A.jpeg.60eedc7f29cc2e562a5ac814d03d794b.jpeg

64EFF72D-A236-4B68-BA74-4B0F174E26B2.jpeg.686a9af5804919f2bd3c4d9d11612ce5.jpeg

Just now, FROGSMILE said:

yes I too think that he’s a Cameron.  I don’t see anything unusual about his kilt, it’s how I’d expect it to appear with orthochromatic film rendering the yellow lines indistinguishable.

Thanks very much for your swift reply.

Glad sorted.

1 hour ago, Harlosh said:

Matlock, are you asking me to post the ICRC link?

Harlosh - No.  [And don't forget to read the recent posts re: regiment identity]

57 minutes ago, busterfield said:

macpherson.JPG

Busterfield - Thanks for posting image - I'm afraid I still can't find this particular record

Hope you can please help OP [and me!] with the link.

Here's the other ICRC repatriation record I found earlier for McPherson 15427 Cam Hldrs  https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/1313997/3/2

Arrived Dover 29 Dec 1918 then to PoW Reception Camp, Canterbury.

:-) M

Many thanks to you all.

They should make a television series about you all. The knowledge is quite something.

The attached letter might be of interest to some of you.

IMG_20210422_154700184.jpg.6a6656f463aa48bc7106cd63bdb8e5ca.jpg