Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Record of the Battles & Engagements - other fronts?

John(txic)

Is there a companion volume to the title covering France & Flanders?

Perhaps  you are referring to the following which is available online

A Record of the Battles and Engagements of the British Armies in France and Flanders 1914-1918 by Captain E A James 48th (South Midland) Divisional Signals T A 1924. army.gov.au (Located in Our Heritage/History/Primary materials/1914 to 1918 - World War One/Documents)

I am not aware of a similar publication for  other  Fronts.

In the Introduction the author refers to the ''Report of the Battles Nomenclature Committee".  This is available on the Library subscription website  UK Parliamentary Papers  which perhaps some  GWF members may be able to access with their Library cards. Command Papers/ Accounts and Papers/ Session: 1921/Paper Number: Cmd. 1138.

'Report of the Battles Nomenclature Committee" presumably has information about other Fronts.

Maureen

Obliged, Maureene: I was hoping there was a publication covering the other fronts.  I'll have a go at accessing UK Parliamentary Papers.

John

Might not be completely what you are after but there is ' Chronology of the Great War '. Single volume book compiled from :

Chronology of the War

Vol 1 1914-15 published 1918

Vol 2 1916-17 published 1919

Vol 3 1918-19 published 1920

All published under the Ministry of Information.

The version I have is a 1988 compilation by Greenhill Books with an introduction by Dr Gwyn Baylis Librarian at the IWM.

This book covers a day by day and theatre by theatre record of the war by 'Tables': Of contemporaneous events. 'Appendices for each Year': Explaining and enlarging on certain events. 'Index': Which gives a record of a good many minor events which are not found in the 'Tables' and also short abstracts of events in different theatres.

It does not show or list Formations as Battles and Engagements does..

Happy to look up for you if required.

Regards

Peter

The Report of the Battlefields Nomenclature Committee covers all areas of conflict during the War up to and including the 3rd Afghan War of 1919. It was published in 1921 by HMSO in an edition of 500 copies. I believe there is a modern reprint.

1 hour ago, Maureene said:

Perhaps  you are referring to the following which is available online

A Record of the Battles and Engagements of the British Armies in France and Flanders 1914-1918 by Captain E A James 48th (South Midland) Divisional Signals T A 1924. army.gov.au (Located in Our Heritage/History/Primary materials/1914 to 1918 - World War One/Documents)

I am not aware of a similar publication for  other  Fronts.

In the Introduction the author refers to the ''Report of the Battles Nomenclature Committee".  This is available on the Library subscription website  UK Parliamentary Papers  which perhaps some  GWF members may be able to access with their Library cards. Command Papers/ Accounts and Papers/ Session: 1921/Paper Number: Cmd. 1138.

'Report of the Battles Nomenclature Committee" presumably has information about other Fronts.

Maureen

As a matter of interest the author is the same EA James who as a Brigadier wrote the seminal work “British Regiments 1914-18” whose contents extracted to the long long trail enables us to trace the formation and training, movement between divisions, and eventual fate of every infantry battalion and cavalry regiment.  I’ve often thought what a meticulous staff officer he must have been and I did not realise that he was also the author of the volume that you have quoted.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hi John,

If you can make do with basic dates, this kind of thing is in 'Statistics of the military effort of the British Empire' (downloadable from here)

image.png.455dfdfacc76375f1c8242f27ae56285.png

Regards

Chris

Thank you, one and all!

20 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

The Report of the Battlefields Nomenclature Committee covers all areas of conflict during the War up to and including the 3rd Afghan War of 1919. It was published in 1921 by HMSO in an edition of 500 copies. I believe there is a modern reprint.

The modern reprint is by Naval & Military Press, a company who will be well known to many of us. I don't know whether they have any copies left. It is not in the same format as E A James' book but it highlights the dates and physical locations of each battle. There is also a book listing the battle honours awarded to each regiment, which can be read in conjunction with it, and with Becke's Order of Battle volumes, should enable the reader to find which divisions and regiments were involved in each case.

Ron