Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bayonets of Austro-Ugrian Empire

AndyBsk

The first bayonet is M95 Stutzen piece, mostly with german S84/98nA wrong scabbard, the piece was made by Budapest, the unit marking is mostly a Depot of Vienna, from my sources  i believe its Supply Depot Wien and nr. 

The second one is M88 for soldiers, made in Steyr, to unit on crossguard is not typical as N.37 is above of line and i see not corectly the letters under. The piece is austrian proofed?, on right ricasso is the serial number of rifle. The unit could be not army but i will look at. Basic question what for MRD is the barell ring??

Edited by AndyBsk

IMG_0549.jpg.d2c1b96318b8fd86b39063b74f8180d6.jpg

MRD appears to be 16 or perhaps 15.5mm

Here is a slightly clearer view of the unit mark:

IMG_0550.JPG.7c31399e400b602290ffe1388c93612c.JPG

It appears to me to be 

N.37

14.L.GC.

Thanks for adding details, congratulation You get a hit, its a scarce Gendarmerie Bayonet for M90 Short rifle (Extra Corps Gewehr M90) used with M88 type bayonet but with 15mm MRD, here 15,5 as the laps of ring are opened. I already had some opinions on older pictures with unit but the MRD is the key to identify this.

The unit is 14. Landes Gendarmerie Commando was located since 1900 in Klagenfurt in Carinthia, Kaernten , weapon nr.37 from this is the strange not army style marking. 

Edited by AndyBsk

Thanks @AndyBsk - great information.

But -- oh no! It means I now have a bayonet without a rifle for it :o that doesn't really leave me any choice does it......:ph34r: I had a bit of a bayonet rich week. In addition to these two and the early Berthier I also picked up a Belgian (long, export) 98 Mauser bayonet (I think - totally unmarked) so obviously that needs something to go on too.....:w00t:

Thanks again.

Chris

• 1 month later...

Bayonet nr.18 captured serbian M1910 bayonet, with no traces on marking typical for using by Austrian army, anyway there are many captured mainly in early 1914-15 period.

Its identical to M1899 and M1899/07 serbian bayonets delivered with Mauser system rifles, the M1910 was delivered by german firms, here by V.C.Schilling.  The MRD is 15,5mm, and the ring is 18mm above handle positioned. All surface were cleaned by previous owner. Luckily this went not per postwar yugo refurbishment.

SerbianM1910a.JPG.af7c69f75abdf3d70d181438c3f5716f.JPG

Edited by AndyBsk

• 2 months later...

Hey Andy, that Serbian 1910, captured by Austria. You say “ no Spurs”?, do you refer to the bottom end of pommel but on your photo is more rounded or something else?? Is the 1910 photo original shape or modified?

Sorry "spure" is trace in german, i meaned no refurbishment by Serbian or postwar Yugoslavia, the M1910 is in origin condition never changed in any way. Yugoslavia would remove grips and new bolts instead of rivets.

Thanks Andy, so the Serbian 1910 fits the M95 rifles and carbines without modifications, or were used with captured Serbian rifles?

It was used with captured M99/07/10 serbian rifles. Wout changes could be not added on austrian rifles.

As always Andy, great help, thanks. Were captured rifles only used by second line troops of Austria, were Austrain troops equipped with captured rifles k own to have seen combat? Just curious

When converted to austrian caliber, the arms were used probably by front units, some seen with converted Mosin91, anyway the M14 Mexican rifles used identical cartridge as captured Serbian 7x57 Mauser, i assume the majority of them were used by guarding units or second line. not many period pictures are reported.

• 7 months later...

Good morning, I would like to ask you to help identify my bayonet. I tried to read a lot on internet I believe I have Stutzer M95 from Hungary but I am not sure...thank you very much for your help.

IMG_20220804_071619.jpg

IMG_20220804_071614.jpg

IMG_20220804_071607.jpg

IMG_20220804_071557.jpg

Edited by Veerag

Hallo,

At the begining...

Austro-Hungarian bayonet M 1895 for the rifle. Hungarian production. Scabbard not from him. German for bayonet M 84/98 n. A with war regimental marking 11 Jaeger (schutzen) Battalion staff number weapon 21. Garrison Marburg, XI Army Corps.

Best regards Rafal

As You correctly mentioned You have a bayonet M1895 for Stutzen and made in Budapest armory, most real post 1918. The pommel could have any stamps? the metall on scabbard and blade was probably chemically derosted, which now looks like a parkerised, as Rafal mentioned the scabbard is german for S84/98nA bayonet, about the unit, is unfortunally not good visible, in case behind the 11 is a slash, in that case it would be 11 company of Reichswehr Inf. Regiment nr.21 and weapon nr is not visible.

5 hours ago, AndyBsk said:

As You correctly mentioned You have a bayonet M1895 for Stutzen and made in Budapest armory, most real post 1918. The pommel could have any stamps? the metall on scabbard and blade was probably chemically derosted, which now looks like a parkerised, as Rafal mentioned the scabbard is german for S84/98nA bayonet, about the unit, is unfortunally not good visible, in case behind the 11 is a slash, in that case it would be 11 company of Reichswehr Inf. Regiment nr.21 and weapon nr is not visible.

Andy

I've been working on the colors of the photos a little and in my opinion there is not slash, just a scrach.

Andy, all numbers are big, one size, no company number so I think it's not Raichswehr regimental markimg from Waimar period

For all for comparison regimental marking from my collection.

Best Raf

112.jpg

P1130080.JPG

Thank you very much for your quick response. Just to add, I am from Slovakia, bayonet is from old house which was old flour mill. Village is called Hybe, near town Liptovský Mikuláš. I am interesting how could get mix different bayonet and different scabbard in real life. I am sure dealers can do it to get one full set but this is not that case ... Please I add more pictures. Thank you guys!

When now I look at last picture I would say it is:

11. JK 21 or maybe 11.JR 21?

IMG_20220805_072438.jpg

IMG_20220805_072549.jpg

IMG_20220805_072652.jpg

IMG_20220805_072709.jpg

IMG_20220805_072512.jpg

Edited by Veerag

Its nice have here other slovakian, i am near Bratislava. the piece could be mixed in WW2 period, as the bayonet was magyar and the scabbard german, in WW2 this could be mixed, anyway as mentioned the derusting was done by someone.

To Rafal, i understand Your point, anyway as You could see there is JR in front of 21, the size of letters are not correct but in Reichswehr this could be done, there was not probably any Jaeger Regiment nr.11 in Kaiser period (not typical designation), same as i believe there are traces of slash behind the 11. Unfortunally the unit was partly removed by derosting. The R and 2 is already not visible because of cleaning. It should be the unit was not fullended as no weapon nr. JR was allways used by Reichswehr denoting a Infanterie Regiment.

2110253228_M95germanscabbard.jpg.93e95a45c8394a050c618706680ad06c.jpg

Edited by AndyBsk

Nice to know one of best experts is from Slovakia;) I'm now living close to Bratislava too, also bayonet will go for sale around here if you will not make me offer;) but I see you have nice collection already. I am more in to metal hand planes so this item will go...

4 hours ago, AndyBsk said:

Its nice have here other slovakian, i am near Bratislava. the piece could be mixed in WW2 period, as the bayonet was magyar and the scabbard german, in WW2 this could be mixed, anyway as mentioned the derusting was done by someone.

To Rafal, i understand Your point, anyway as You could see there is JR in front of 21, the size of letters are not correct but in Reichswehr this could be done, there was not probably any Jaeger Regiment nr.11 in Kaiser period (not typical designation), same as i believe there are traces of slash behind the 11. Unfortunally the unit was partly removed by derosting. The R and 2 is already not visible because of cleaning. It should be the unit was not fullended as no weapon nr. JR was allways used by Reichswehr denoting a Infanterie Regiment.

2110253228_M95germanscabbard.jpg.93e95a45c8394a050c618706680ad06c.jpg

There are "the legs" from letter R in better photo. You are right, Andy. Reichswehr regimental markings.

Raf

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, AndyBsk said:

Happy New Year 2023 for all collectors and their Families.

1358120621_PF2023ver1sm.jpg.c2821302011a6b796f698504242c39b8.jpg

Andy,

And the same to you and family, plus all other 'pointy thing' collectors and hoarders.  Happy hunting in 2023.

Mike.

Great photo’s Andy

nice layout with fresh tree stump and pine branch “ wreath “ surrounding them. All look in very good shape. Curious, the center bayonet with double edge like British O.88 and ‘03, the only other bayonet I know of was the German ( export) m1907 for China, think read, Germany kept them. Is that the bayonet??

Thanks for nice comments Steve, unfortunally only few of them are WW1 period, from left to right Colombian M1912 with rifle adapter in pommel, Wz.24 polish Perkun, yugoslavian M1948, doubble edged FN1949 wout scabbard, czechoslovak Vz.24 deringed by germans in WW2, german S84/98 43agv, portugal M1904/39 rework, and last in frog a austrian-ugrian M1895 for rifle. The tree was falled 2years ago it was 70 years old silver spruce, which was dryed out and damaged by wood rooting insects unfortunally. 

Edited by AndyBsk

Thank’s for quick reply, I forgot about the FN-49, got 2 rifles and do not remember if I have a bayonet for them? Still a nice selection there. Thanks for posting the photo