The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Bayonets of Austro-Ugrian Empire

AndyBsk

The first bayonet is M95 Stutzen piece, mostly with german S84/98nA wrong scabbard, the piece was made by Budapest, the unit marking is mostly a Depot of Vienna, from my sources  i believe its Supply Depot Wien and nr. 

The second one is M88 for soldiers, made in Steyr, to unit on crossguard is not typical as N.37 is above of line and i see not corectly the letters under. The piece is austrian proofed?, on right ricasso is the serial number of rifle. The unit could be not army but i will look at. Basic question what for MRD is the barell ring??

Edited by AndyBsk

IMG_0549.jpg.d2c1b96318b8fd86b39063b74f8180d6.jpg

MRD appears to be 16 or perhaps 15.5mm

Here is a slightly clearer view of the unit mark:

IMG_0550.JPG.7c31399e400b602290ffe1388c93612c.JPG

It appears to me to be 

N.37

14.L.GC.

Thanks for adding details, congratulation You get a hit, its a scarce Gendarmerie Bayonet for M90 Short rifle (Extra Corps Gewehr M90) used with M88 type bayonet but with 15mm MRD, here 15,5 as the laps of ring are opened. I already had some opinions on older pictures with unit but the MRD is the key to identify this.

The unit is 14. Landes Gendarmerie Commando was located since 1900 in Klagenfurt in Carinthia, Kaernten , weapon nr.37 from this is the strange not army style marking. 

Edited by AndyBsk

Thanks @AndyBsk - great information.

But -- oh no! It means I now have a bayonet without a rifle for it :o that doesn't really leave me any choice does it......:ph34r: I had a bit of a bayonet rich week. In addition to these two and the early Berthier I also picked up a Belgian (long, export) 98 Mauser bayonet (I think - totally unmarked) so obviously that needs something to go on too.....:w00t:

Thanks again.

Chris

• 1 month later...

Bayonet nr.18 captured serbian M1910 bayonet, with no spures of using by Austrian army, anyway there are many captured mainly in early 1914-15 period.

Its identical to M1899 and M1899/07 serbian bayonets delivered with Mauser system rifles, the M1910 was delivered by german firms, here by V.C.Schilling.  The MRD is 15,5mm, and the ring is 18mm above handle positioned. All surface were cleaned by previous owner. Luckily this went not per postwar yugo refurbishment.

SerbianM1910a.JPG.af7c69f75abdf3d70d181438c3f5716f.JPG