The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Bayonets of Austro-Ugrian Empire

AndyBsk

Posted (edited)

Piece nr.8 is a war period switch between M1890 and M1895 configuration, was used on reworked M88/90 rifles, which got replacement new barells with newer M95 sights, in war period were for these rifles and possible too for older M88/90 rifles produced bayonets, called unofficially M90/95 , where the locking system of handle is for M88/90 rifle, but the blade is smaller and with upper edge like on M95 bayonets. These were mainly produced by Budapest armory. The MRD is 16,5mm and locking distance of handle is 102mm.

M90_95.jpg.5f61e1f6c594c562ea8e3705ca359dd9.jpg

Edited by AndyBsk

Hello

A little note. After regaining independence in 1918, in Armory 4 in Krakow, for a short period of time, Poland was assembling and producing the 1895 soldier bayonets. Below are the Polish markings on the 1895 bayonet (photo by T. Pietka).

Pietka.jpg.918ed576c1acd11f7a311f585e468e60.jpg

Thanks for additional pictures of polish M95 bayonets.

Posted (edited)

Nr.9 by Landwehr, Landsturm units were still used older rifles of system Werndl M1877, single loaded 11mm, rotated breech system called Tabernakel verschluss. To these rifles were used yataghan blade bayonets Werndl M1870/73, M1873 type, grips were from syntetic cauchuk, scabbard should be sheet steel metall. Various marking could be found on pommel or hook of handguard, here a man version.  Fixing lenght is 105mm, MRD 18,7mm, manufacture by Steyr. Press button is mostly field repair.

werndl73a2.JPG.a78f85d5def2d578cda10824bd5ae91c.JPG

Edited by AndyBsk

Do you mean Austrain  Landstrum units, older men stationed in Austria during Great War , some of them were issued the Werndl rifles and carbines at start of the war ?

Posted (edited)

Yes using for guard duty, securing rails, bridges, pows in camps and various others, they newer staff like older M88/90 rifles returned to units of second line or for front units and they got a older depot stored pieces Werndl, and other single loading rifles for guarding purpose trough all period of war to the end 1918.

Edited by AndyBsk

Thank’s. Very interesting these. Have you seen/ know of any photo’s showing a guard with a rifle or carbine?

Some are in Heino book.When i find some i will present here,but i should nt copy a book photos.

10 hours ago, AndyBsk said:

Some are in Heino book.When i find some i will present here,but i should nt copy a book photos.

It is allowed for 'Research purposes' when given proper acknowledgement.

Julian

Posted (edited)

Here is a photo of Drakegoodman Flickr account of soldier of Austrian army equiped with Werndl rifle and Werndl M1870/73 bayonet.

151642496_Werndl1870_sm.jpg.b33b143ce28d180deee824c08397b260.jpg

Edited by AndyBsk

Thanks Julian

Posted (edited)

Nr.10 Ersatz Bajonett for Mannlicher M88/90 rifle, these bayonets were done in small workshop in end of 1914 and start of 1915, as too much war material was lost in fights to end of 1914, mainly on east front same as in Balkan area. The bayonets are made from steelband, rotating and riveting a L profil as guard, MRD is 16,5mm and locking distance 102mm as should be on ersatz M1888/90 bayonet, the lower spring secured with a hole the bayonet adapter on buttstock of rifle in position,  scabbard was added here from a normal M95 production marked Steyr and austrian proof eagle. Some of the bayonets were blackened, but are mainly found in rusted condition now, as not much interested by collectors in previous century.

M88ersatzlesi.JPG.1aebfd81d33d9dd5d9ff59ad9564032d.JPG

Edited by AndyBsk

Hey Andy

Since most collecting in WW 1 goes to Mauser and Enfield rifles, hence their bayonets, the  Mannlicher is often left out. When collectors and others are at a gun show or militaria fair, we see a M95 bayonet, most of us see a common “ Maybe Mannlicher “ in our eyes, not sure what we are looking at and pass it on.

You told me, I think, the 88/90 looks like the standard m95 bayonet, just bigger MRD.

The M86 and 88 are same way, the 86 (11mm) had bigger MRD. Also many 88/90 were converted post war, shortening the pommel and smaller grips

If more collectors see the wide variety of types, versions in this family of bayonets, I think more of us would have more interest in collecting them, ONLY if more of us knew what we were looking at. 

I am asking if you could do a ( Quick reference guide) of photos showing the 86,88,88/90,95 close together overall pic and same group close shot for muzzle rings maybe tight group pommel photo and tell us what to look for in markings. 

The same can be done with just the M95, variations and all the countries, hear even had a Greek contract somewhere, 

All I can do is ask, From your studies and where you live. You would be the best to do this. Thanks

Steve

Posted (edited)

I would like to add picture of all bayonets, but unfortunally i dont have M86 and same situation, i dont have all bayonets on one place. So i would look for D.Machnicki book comparation . Blade lenght is 250mm as typical by short blade bayonets.

Model               Blade width                Blade edge orientation                 MRD           Height of BR over handle              Locking distance from end of CG to locking nut

M1886              27mm                             normal lower edge                adj.17,5mm                7 mm                                     102mm

M1888              27mm                              identical                                adj.16,5mm                7 mm                                     102mm

M1890              27mm                              cyllindrical fullers                  fix 16,5mm                  7 mm                                    102mm

M1895              23mm                            upper edge position                    15mm                     13 mm                                   90mm

M1890/95         23mm                            upper edge                                  16,5mm                  7 mm                                    102mm

Comparation of M90/95 and M95 by D.Machnicki Book To the Hilt, page 45.

903214593_DMpg45cut.JPG.84996db9a72f42d1c43e2fa495814160.JPG

Edited by AndyBsk

Please show photo of the whole paragraph, It too hard to follow

the main pic, guessing the longer of the 2 is the 90 and the shortened one would be the 90/95 right?  The inset photo of 3 pommels, guessing center would be am M90, the outside 2 I think would be 95 pattern but the one on right has longer mortise slot,is that one a conversion?

Posted (edited)

Is not needed as the right piece a yugoslavian conversion of M90/95 to M95M configuration and this is postwar configuration. Large picture is left M95 right M90/95, on smaller is top view of M95 left, M90/95 in middle and yugoslavian M95M conversion. Machnicki dont have comparation of M86/88/90/95 in one picture, and i dont have my bayonets on one place. So maybe i will made picture some month later.Anyway i dont have M86.

I found my old collection foto, unfortunally not all bayonets avialable. There exist some good sources as books, by Gabriel, new print by HGM Vienna museum.

Mannlicherspart3sm.JPG.97a553a531485b1c5c5525491929999e.JPG

Edited by AndyBsk

That’s good Andy

I looked around and saw a wide variety in this series of bayonets, decide to learn more. Comparison photos are best, I do not know, of coarse, which type M95 you have

The comparison chart you made is great

With your collection and MARKINGS photos, you can still help us collectors along

Also, D. Machnicki book, To The Hilt, I saw cover before but no find for sale anywhere. 
If you have a copy, can you give the ISBN number to help track down a copy, Thanks

Steve

Posted (edited)

Major producers are OE/WG for Steyr, and FG/GY for Budapest, the some smaller producers are only for WW1 period. When i have a comparation picture i would attach.

D.Machnicki book is outsaled as printed already 2011?, i made for him some correction, unfortunally he dont send me all the text only few pictures and units  to comment. I will add the ISBN number. These links are in internet:

"To the Hilt: The Austrian Bayonet" by David F. Machnicki. ISBN-13: 9780984634620

Publisher-- Adibooks.com, 2011  ISBN 0984634622, 9780984634620

https://books.google.sk/books?id=OpWSZwEACAAJ&dq=David+Machnicki+:+To+the+Hilt&hl=de&sa=X&redir_esc=y

My book was printed March 2011, ISBN 13:978-0-9846346-2-0, or ISBN 10:0-9846346-2-2

Edited by AndyBsk

Thanks again

Posted (edited)

Nr11 Ersatz bayonet for Mannlicher M95 rifle, in various condition, upper one in best condition, middle one with broken end of locking spring and lower one spring broken off complete behind the rivets, the lower one was used as tool for mixing colors by painter, even visible remains of yellow paint in rust areas. I bought it for 5€ only for comparation. MRD is 15mm, locking lenght 90mm, height of barell is 13mm. Scabbard is of prewar production by Steyr , austrian proofed, with remains of period black paint.

Similar bayonets were produced for different rifles, captured rifles on various war places, export rifles aquired in Steyr and Budapest, similar bayonets exist too for obsolete rifles as Werndl and Waenzl.

M95ersatzall.JPG.3c3337253cec9047578432441c8957ff.JPG

Edited by AndyBsk

Andy, I can't recall any photographs of theseKuK ersatz in use... Do you know of any?

Julian

Posted (edited)

Here in Austria and CSR is no problem found any pictures with ersatz bayonets, when i found something, i will add here. 

ersatzM95periodsm.jpg.3daf96cb833b64766ec3514e2076daaf.jpg

Edited by AndyBsk

Thanks!

Posted (edited)

Nr.12 ersatz bayonet of german type production for Mannlicher M95 rifle, this sample is from Heino Hint. collection as i personally dont own similar quality piece, only a relic one. The handle was made as typical ASG88/98 german WW1 emergency bayonets, holow riveted handle, crossguard with 13mm high positioned MRD of 15mm, locking lenght is 90mm. press button is oriented on different side of pommel as by austrian bayonets. Scabbard here was added from WW1 production wout ball finial.

Similar type of ersatz bayonet of german manner production exist too for Mannlicher M88/90 rifles, with different MRD 16,5, height of ring 7mm and locking lenght 102mm.

HeHi_ersatzgertypeM95.JPG.907fbedef0350051bb2c3fa63af6c54c.JPG

Edited by AndyBsk

ANDY:  Nicely done on the M95's, a topic I found very interesting!   Great photos as well.  Keep up the great work!!!!!!