Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers uniform badges info. please.

petehils

The photo with the 2 soldiers. The one on the left has an inverted chevron on his left sleeve. Is this a long service award?  The one on the right has a lanyard over shoulder. What does this signify?  I take it one on right is a corporal and on the left is a sergeant.  The photo of the lone soldier may be Boer war but could be WW1. are the 2 stripes on his left sleeve wound badges?  Any info gratefully received. Thanks.

119067289_Screenshot2021-02-09at10_34_24.jpeg.4e62132f3ff428da910a231f3bae881c.jpeg

105025051_Screenshot2021-02-10at11_00_31.jpeg.743dfefee54962735df3fec1f6f7a583.jpeg

Both photos ate Great War era.

Top photo: Private with possibly 2 wound stripes.

Bottom photo: Left, Corporal with one Good Conduct chevron.

Right, Probably Sergeant (pixellation due to low resolution image interferes with image).

Wearing Lanyard on Right side came in as standard in about 1921, but was often often seen worn idiosyncratically during the Great War.

A better resolution scan could add some bonus features.

Thanks a lot for your help. Trying to sort some info. from some photos a lady has found in her mothers attic. The chap in the top photo i think i've identified with hir parents but the two i haven't been able to.  They look like brothers but in this ladies ancestry there were two brothers but they were privates, one of them sadly killed in France in 1917 so not sure who these lads are. Thanks again. Pete.  

Both the lowermost men, Cpl and Sgt have ball buttons, an idiosyncrasy adopted by the Royal Horse Artillery.  No other regimental insignia visible.  I think that the badge on his left lower arm is a large crossed rifles badge for marksman.  A Corporal would not be entitled to wear good conduct badges at that time. 
The uppermost fellow has two wound stripes as mentioned by Dai.

Edited by FROGSMILE

11 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I think that the badge on his left lower arm is a large crossed rifles badge for marksman.  

Yes, now that you've pointed it out, I agree.

57 minutes ago, petehils said:

Thanks all. I get the two crossed rifles badge now.  

To answer your initial post, the wound stripes were introduced during WW1 (1916) so not Boer War.  I agree that the larger group shows two brothers, very likely with their three sisters going from the family resemblance.  Quite a poignant image of the kind that always leaves me wondering how many survived the war.

I agree Frogsmile. When i see photos of soldiers like these i like to do my utmost to try and track who and where they were.  The thing about the 2 lads and 3 girls is that i have found  2 brothers in this family who were in the army in WW1 and they did have 3 sisters. These photos were found by the lady who showed them to me. The problem is that the 2 soldiers in this family were privates and one was killed in 1917 and was listed as private then so that doesn't make this photo the one of the family i thought it may be. 

Edited by petehils
addaed info.

4 hours ago, petehils said:

I agree Frogsmile. When i see photos of soldiers like these i like to do my utmost to try and track who and where they were.  The thing about the 2 lads and 3 girls is that i have found  2 brothers in this family who were in the army in WW1 and they did have 3 sisters. These photos were found by the lady who showed them to me. The problem is that the 2 soldiers in this family were privates and one was killed in 1917 and was listed as private then so that doesn't make this photo the one of the family i thought it may be. 

It’s not impossible that they lost their rank, such things did sometimes happen so it’s best not to rule that possibility out.