Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MONMOUTH REGIMENT

BIFFO

i have an invisible(to me)soldier :w00t:

M SIMMONDS NUMBER 3497

I can find no trace  mic,medals roll,pension,soldiers effects

it definatly looks like SIMMONDS have tried spelling with a Y, only one M, looked at list no name in Monmouth reg

all three medals are impressed correctly

Can any Sherlock homes find him :thumbsup:

There is a Mathew SImmonds 3497 South Wales Borderers  Medal Rolls Index  serving 3rd Monmouth

Edited by EDWARD1

2 hours ago, EDWARD1 said:

There is a Mathew SImmonds 3497 South Wales Borderers  Medal Rolls Index  serving 3rd Monmouth

2 hours ago, EDWARD1 said:

BIFFO,

1914-15 Star Roll is Mathew SIMMONDS 3497 3/Mon R and 39869 [it's a S. Wales Borderers' Roll]

BWM & VM Roll is Matthew SIMMONDS 3497 Mon R and 39869 5/S. Wales Bord

SWB Discharge Card with 15 Star, BWM & VM is Matthew SIMMONDS 3497 Mon R and 39869 3/S. Wales Bord

Pension Card and Pension Ledger Card as Matthew SIMMONDS,  39869 3/SWB - Born 1889 - Rheumatism and VDH [Valvular Disease of Heart]

- and PC also annotated DLI 4070665 [???]

:-) M

oh I say Watson wot clever people:thumbsup:

now if you could tell me when how he transfered :whistle:

:poppy:

• Admin
2 hours ago, BIFFO said:

now if you could tell me when how he transfered

He originally went to France in a reinforcement draft to the 3rd Monmouth Regiment as shown on the SWB Roll Index Card posted above.

He appears to be in a cohort who were posted from the Base Depot to the 5th Battalion (Pioneers) South Wales Borderers towards the end of September 1916.  The diary records a draft of 69 arriving on the 24th, and a further draft of 128 on the 27th September. (39827 was posted on 20.9.1916 having been posted from the 3/3 Monmouthshire and landing in France on the 1st - 39859 McNelis landed in France on the 6th September so probably in the later draft). 

The war diary for the 3rd Monmouths records that on the 21st August 50 ORs were sent to Base to form a nucleus around which the Battalion may eventually be reformed whilst the remainder went to the 9th Entrenching Battalion. On 31st August the Battalion was disbanded and I guess that is when he was posted to the 5th SWB from the Base arriving with them on one of the dates above.  A number of his comrades posted around this time were subsequently killed in April 1918, by which time he had been discharged.

They appear to be mix of men posted from the 3/3 at this time, or men already in France but at the Base.

thankyou Ken  :thumbsup: