Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Found old revolver in a river W&S marking on the side.

scottcass

Hi my son found this old revolver in a river and was wondering if anyone had any info on the markings on the side, W&S with what looks like a flying bullet above it. Any help is appreciated.

Scott

DE3A7EC4-27C7-4B27-A2DD-9699CEA2672B.png

3BDEF5E4-9695-4099-B679-C4D168E98B5E.png

221D8FD2-B116-4DAC-BE6A-02838B1EDE30.jpeg

97E43437-E7F5-44A6-8A2C-52E190C64270.jpeg

4thGordons

W&S and a winged bullet would be Webley and Scott I should think.

Chris

Looks like an old Webley & Scott by the stamp, check out the old Webley & Scott site, you may find something similar there.

Cheers.

Looks in good nick if been in water for any length of time.

4thGordons

Quick browse of Bruce and Reihart suggest it looks very similar to the Webley No 1 1/2 (p82)

SEE THIS EXAMPLE FOR COMPARISON

Or perhaps more likely the SOLID FRAME HOLSTER MODEL shown here -- which seems a very close match.

Chris

Edited by 4thGordons
ADD LINK

As mentioned above by Chris, the W & S Solid Frame Holster Model does look the same. As can be seen on the photo's, all of the screw holes, screws and fittings appear to be to be exact on both examples. It appears that it would be .442 caliber as the smaller calibers have slightly different fittings.

Cheers

WS3.jpg

Ws5.jpg

WS4.jpg

WS1.jpg

Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

What part of the world are you in?

If in the UK, there's probably an obligation on you to notify the police.

It might after all have been used in a crime.

(I don't make or understand the rules about such weapons, but I think there are some).

Gunner Bailey

Looks like the hammer has been cut down, like the Tankers Webley's of WW2. For concealment or a quick draw? 

4thGordons
8 hours ago, Gunner Bailey said:

Looks like the hammer has been cut down, like the Tankers Webley's of WW2. For concealment or a quick draw? 

I wondered about that too. I assume it means that the weapon could be used double action only? as I should imagine it would be a struggle to cock without the spur.

I'd also echo Dai's comment - even given its age if discovered in the UK it probably needs reporting (even if an obsolete calibre and a relic incomplete weapon)

Chris

James A Pratt III

If you are in the UK. I hope you don't get into trouble if you do call the police. I have read about a man that found a old shotgun turned it into the police and was thrown in jail! I know this sounds stupid but thats the way things are in the UK

Dai Bach y Sowldiwr
6 minutes ago, James A Pratt III said:

If you are in the UK. I hope you don't get into trouble if you do call the police. I have read about a man that found a old shotgun turned it into the police and was thrown in jail! I know this sounds stupid but thats the way things are in the UK

Well if you're referring to this incident, perhaps it really isn't a bad idea to fully investigate cases where people with criminal records find sawn off shotguns at the bottom of their gardens, even if that means pleading your case in court:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1236976/Soldier-given-suspended-sentence-handing-shotgun-police-given-award-instead.html

Of course, other countries do things differently and have a more liberal attitude to gun law.

58 Div Mule
21 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Well if you're referring to this incident, perhaps it really isn't a bad idea to fully investigate cases where people with criminal records find sawn off shotguns at the bottom of their gardens, even if that means pleading your case in court:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1236976/Soldier-given-suspended-sentence-handing-shotgun-police-given-award-instead.html

Of course, other countries do things differently and have a more liberal attitude to gun law.

Agreed.

A lot more to that particular case than was reported in the press!

58 DM.

Just to cut through some of the nonsense in some of the previous posts, if this is indeed in .442 Webley, up until last month, this was classed as an Obsolete Calibre (in UK) and could be owned by anyone as an Antique and Obsolete calibre gun, without licence, under Section 58(2), so long as they were not a Prohibited Person. As such, even as a 'found' gun, there was no obligation to report it to the police (unless you were a Prohibited Person, or you suspected it had been used in crime). It was, effectively, considered as an antique or curio for which ammunition was not readily available.

However,

As of last month, the Antique Firearms Regulations 2020 came into force, and .442 Webley calibre revolvers are now considered Section 5 (Prohibited) firearms (regardless of whether they work or not, as this gun is clearly not functional). You therefore have 6 months in which to declare or dispose of this firearm. So you can either hand it in to the police (or a Section 5 authorised Registered Firearms Dealer), sell it, have it deactivated (cost at least £200), or apply for a firearms licence to own it under Section 7.1.

James A Pratt III

Yes that I believe is the case mentioned above. After some thought the affair does smell of a set up. I am not sure but I think there is another case where a British soldier in Iraq had to go home do to a death in the family. His fellow soldiers sent his kit back to him which unknown to anyone contained a pistol the Iraqis had given him as a gift. The soldier took it to the police and was arrested . My advise in cases like this if you find a firearm you are not supposed to have toss it in the nearest river or bury it in the woods.

James A Pratt III

If that revolver had been in a river it may not have been there that long say 5 or 10 years max. This is after looking through a book called "Firearms or the American West 1803-1865" which has several pictures of firearms recovered after being lost.

Dai Bach y Sowldiwr
56 minutes ago, James A Pratt III said:

If that revolver had been in a river it may not have been there that long say 5 or 10 years max. This is after looking through a book called "Firearms or the American West 1803-1865" which has several pictures of firearms recovered after being lost.

Thanks James.

I believe that supports even more strongly my advice from up thread.

What sort of person drops guns in rivers?

Especially in the last 10 years.

Handguns haven't been legal to hold in the UK for 20(?) years.

The OP has not posted again but has visited the forum since posting.

I think he needs to bite the bullet (pun intended) and declare his find.

• DavidOwen locked this topic