Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAMC Russia 1918-1919

Peter B Gunn

I am researching my uncle Major George D'Rastricke Carr MC RAMC who was posted to Russia from 1918-19. He left no diaries or letters and I have no idea what unit he might have joined for that period. Any starting point for RAMC personnel posted there would be a great help. He had just married my aunt in Oxnam, near Jedburgh, Scottish Borders and received news of his posting from there. Any suggestions would be welcome!

The 1920 Officers War Service book states

Despatches LG 28 Jan 16.

MC and 2 bars

He was also awarded the following under File: WO 32/5411  Decorations & medals: Regulations governing acceptance & wearing of Russian decorations   918-29. This is the so-called ‘Confidential’ list of Army personnel who had been awarded Russian decorations after the Revolution and which had not been gazetted.

Carr, George d’Rastricke Capt, MC, St Stanislas 2nd with swords RAMC

Thank you for this. How can I find out where he served in North Russia? Could it have been on one of the hospital ships in Archangel or Murmansk. Any ideas about further sources?

4 hours ago, Peter B Gunn said:

Thank you for this. How can I find out where he served in North Russia? Could it have been on one of the hospital ships in Archangel or Murmansk. Any ideas about further sources?

Hi Peter

Your best bet are his service papers at NA Kew. I live in Australia so can't really help with access to NA but am sure someone from the UK will be able to help.

Peter