Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

picture of Pte Munnelly 44204

Soldier5944

Hello , 

I am looking for a photo of a soldier called (pte )John Munnelly ,  his army number was 44204 and he joined the royal innskillings fusilier regiment. 

This man was my Great Grandfather , his son ( my Grandfather ) is still alive aged 94 but doesn't have any photos of him and his memory is leaving him so i would be great if i can give him a picture of his dad again. Born 1891 in Crossmolina , Ireland. His Death was in 1938 Newcastle .  He first joined the Innskillings then transferred to the Leinster Reg no 3254  then  finally the labour corps no 651182.  any help with finding a photo of this man would be much appreciated. 

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Photos are a hard thing to find. Your best best is often via local newspapers from the area where he lived

regards

Jon

Good morning jonbem,

Thanks for your reply, John munnelly before the war has 33 violent criminal convictions , imam guessing he is well known in the county mayo area and somewhere there must be a photo of this man . 

15 hours ago, Soldier5944 said:

He first joined the Innskillings then transferred to the Leinster Reg no 3254  then  finally the labour corps no 651182.  any help with finding a photo of this man would be much appreciated. 

In case it helps you with any further research, his labour Corps service number was actually 631182

I have searched Irish newspapers that are available via Find My Past but haven't found a photograph of him.

The Munnelly's of Mayo spelled their name many ways. There are 5 who died during the war who spelled their names-Moneley, James Stanislaus, IR.E., 10091, Monelly, Thomas, West Riding Regiment, 300161 Monnelly, Francis, West Kents, 23217 and James Henry Monnelly, R.I.Regt, 25997, and finally Munally, Martin, R.I.Regt, 16089.  Keep this in mind when searching.

• 1 month later...

On one of John’s pension cards it records service with the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. Searching Forces War Records, J Munnelly, 44204, RIF, is listed as wounded, though no further details are held.

Would any of our members kindly be able to confirm details from the casualty list, or point me in the right direction to locate them, in order to confirm this J Munnelly is the same soldier who served with the Leinster Regiment, 3254, and Labour Corps, 631182, as per the Medal Index Card, which makes no mention of the RIF. 

Many thanks in advance for any assistance. Gunner 87.

DA44F954-D3E0-4272-9AEF-BF3DBA9667E5.jpeg.f53b2429dca6f28837384d2a1335b259.jpeg

906CD640-4C1B-425C-85C2-2D5D33E68A5A.jpeg.0599e67eca27a0e2f13a61f15ba851f3.jpeg

11 hours ago, Gunner 87 said:

Would any of our members kindly be able to confirm details from the casualty list, or point me in the right direction to locate them

Doesn't really add anything, but you'll find him listed close to the top of the right hand column on this page https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/194165582

Cheers,

Peter

13 minutes ago, PRC said:

Doesn't really add anything, but you'll find him listed close to the top of the right hand column on this page https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/194165582

Cheers,

Peter

Thank you Peter, very much appreciated.