Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

32nd Battalion AIF 'Second to None'?

tamiwell

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone out there might have the book 'Second to None' on the history of the 32nd Battalion AIF?  I'm hoping to find out whether there are any photographs contained in it of GEORGE WILLIAMS 2750 and if his date of death is listed in the back index?  He survived the war but I have another book by R.R. Freeman on the 50th Battalion and it contains an index with death dates of as many ex-soldiers as they could be aware of after the war.  I'd really like to avoid having to purchase it to check for this, as it is a very expensive book to buy.  Thank you so much,

Tam

• Admin

Can you not get the book through inter library loan? 

Hi Tam,

There is no mention of a post war date of death for 2750 George Williams.

Unfortunately the book only identifies individuals using their name and initials so common names are difficult to positively identify. There are two photos for 'G. Williams' (one is 654 George Williams, MiD) whether the other is your man I cannot say as there are a number of G. Williams that served in the 32nd Battalion.

Good luck with your research

Dan

0.jpg.f0905c33107104112d9f3e6f4e01e7e5.jpeg

unnamed.jpg.da43d077c9dd891e19614db3eaee088d.jpg

Thank you so much for checking for me!  This photograph is of a Sergeant Williams, it's a lovely one!  My George was a private though.  Would you mind showing me the other photograph please of a G. Williams, you mentioned there were two?  Thank you so much, you've saved me having to buy the book and possibly finding nothing there.  Could I also ask you please if you have any photographs in the book of Henry Beriman (2288) or  Hector Pryor 3892?  I'm also researching the lives of these men.  Not one of these men have any living descendants today so I have to try everything I can to find a photograph of them : )

tam 

Having another look, the G. Williams in this photo is a Lance Corporal which I don't believe 2750 ever was, so unlikely this is your man

Dan

Hi Tam,

Sorry, there aren't any photos for these other two men.

The second photo of Williams is of 654 Sgt George Williams of B Coy, 32nd Bn who was Mentioned in Despatches for his actions during the Battle of Fromelles (19-20 July 1916).

Regards,

Dan

unnamed-1.jpg.b8538f4660bce18b467c6b23fa7ca9ab.jpg