Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Meaning of the initials DSM

PB BUSH

Hopefully someone out there can assist. I have been looking into the Naval history of Jacob Philip Beament and trying to find his medals. I have looked in the obvious places IWM, GM and The NA. I have found an entry in the ratings roll at the NA which shows his service medals, however, there are the initials DSM hand written above his name. NA can't explain it, I am hoping someone out there might have an insight in to the initials.

431881496_Screenshot2021-04-16101424.png.56dd1a5f373aa36dcad6a74581510521.png

Distinguished Service Medal, a Naval Award up to 1933.

Andy

Apologies, should have been clearer. Of course I know what the DSM stands for in medal terms, however, you will note the initials are over Jacobs name and not in the medals section.

I am not aware that Jacob was awarded the DSM Medal so I looked in the NA gallantry awards role and he is not mentioned. There are numerous other instances where the initials DSM are either printed or hand written above the sailors names and they too are not mentioned in the NA gallantry awards role. So I must assume that these initials in this instance refer to something else, which is why I have put the mystery to this forum.

Sorry, then I cannot help. Several medal rolls I have seen have medal awards inserted as per your example.

Andy

Thank you, You mention several medal rolls. I have only found National Archives. can you suggest any other places I should look

On 16/04/2021 at 10:39, stiletto_33853 said:

Distinguished Service Medal, a Naval Award up to 1933.

Andy

Not quite. The DSM was awarded to other ranks until 1993 under the review of British Honours when the DSC replaced the DSM for all ranks. There were many DSM awards in WW2, the Falklands Conflict and since.

edit: Apologies......I misunderstood your comment. It looked like you were stating that  the award had been discontinued in 1933. I believe you are saying it was only awarded to Naval Personnel up to 1933 when it was extended to other services which is correct. 

LL

Edited by Lawryleslie

The DSM notation is ifor the rating above, AB George Jesse BEAMENT DSM, who was "awarded the Distinguished Service Medal for service in submarines in the Sea of Marmora"

Edited by horatio2

• 2 weeks later...

Disappointing, with so many thousands of members I thought there might have been someone out there who might have had an answer to this mystery!

I will keep on searching.

PB

• Admin

I would say that Horatio2 has answered your question.

Horatio2 is the librarian of RN Great War history - the rest of us will provide many answers, but he will provide the right one :).

My own reading of the thread confirms to my satisfaction that horatio2 answered your query on April 16th.

To avoid any further confusion, could you repeat any specific question you feel is unanswered?

PB - Even if you are still none the wiser, at least h2 has provided you with a sound explanation. 
I don’t see what mystery still remains.

MB

Ok for the sake of clarity below is an extract from the National Archive Navy ratings role. I researched this document to find out which medals my grandfather was awarded during his service in the Royal Navy 1906 - 1920. It is clear he was awarded the three service medals, Star, Victory medal and the British war medal. I know that my grandfather was not awarded a Gallantry medal as I had already checked in the National Archive Navy Gallantry role. 

As you can see from the image that the initials DSM have been entered above my Grandfathers name, Jacob P Beament. I am simply asking what do the initials DSM mean in this instance as they do not stand for Distinguished Service Medal. I have checked all the reply's to my question and none have give an explanation for the initials.

I hope this is clearer for all. Apologies if there has been any confusion.

PB

431881496_Screenshot2021-04-16101424.png.56dd1a5f373aa36dcad6a74581510521.png

18 minutes ago, PB BUSH said:

As you can see from the image that the initials DSM have been entered above my Grandfathers name, Jacob P Beament. I am simply asking what do the initials DSM mean in this instance as they do not stand for Distinguished Service Medal.

They do.

As horatio2 pointed out on April 16th:

On 16/04/2021 at 13:41, horatio2 said:

The DSM notation is ifor the rating above, AB George Jesse BEAMENT DSM, who was "awarded the Distinguished Service Medal for service in submarines in the Sea of Marmora"

Think of it this way, instead of the initials ‘DSM’ being added above your GF’s name, consider the possibility that the initials have been added below the name of the man listed above (who was in fact awarded that medal).

MB

4 minutes ago, KizmeRD said:

Think of it this way, instead of the initials ‘DSM’ being added above your GF’s name, consider the possibility that the initials have been added below the name of the man listed above (who was in fact awarded that medal).

Yea verily! And the remaining question is ............?

Edited by horatio2

Hear what you say, however, why put it on the line of another mans information, why not put it on the line of the intended man. Surely that's why you have separate lines for each man!!!!

PB

Records are replete with wierd admin entries like this, That is why it is important to research records in detail and not (necessarily) accept them at face value. You have done just that and have discovered the unwelcome answer.

I will now go back and look at the other 9 instances in the B's section of the role where these initials occur. I have already scanned the Gallantry role in these 9 other instances and none of the men have been awarded the DSM either. I will now check to see if KIZME RD's theory of the line above or below being the recipient of the DSM.

PB

It’s not my theory, it is exactly what h2 told you many posts ago, and it is entirely consistent with other similar poorly notated entries we have seen.

DSM’s weren’t exactly commonplace, so not really surprising that nine other men didn’t have one too.

MB

J.P.Beament's award of the D.S.M will have been published in the London Gazette (not the easiest publication to search) but it will be there somewhere

Ray

5 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

J.P.Beament's award of the D.S.M will have been published in the London Gazette

As peviously noted, he was not awarded the DSM,

6 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

As peviously noted, he was not awarded the DSM,

Sorry'  I was not paying attention 

Note to myself pay more attention to what I am reading

and double check before posting 

Ray

On 16/04/2021 at 22:41, horatio2 said:

Just to redeem myself

Confirmation from the London Gazette that the entry on the medal roll

relates to George Jesse Beament as Horatio2's post

dsm.JPG.fc4587b0bc8ea94140b4f307c1e7c1e8.JPG

Ray