Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Problems with obtaining an RAF Service Record

hmsk212

Hi

I have tried to obtain a servicemans record from the MOD. He served in the RFC from August 1914 until 29 March 1920. I have his WW1 Air 79 Service Record but I know that he served as an Officer in WW2 and wanted information on this part of his Service. I sent off the Application forms plus £30 for said records to RAF 3rd Party Disclosures Team at RAF Cranwell. Despite his date of birth being March 1880 they have insited that I need to send a copy of his Death Certificate.

Quote :- "I regret I am unable to proceed with your enquiry until I receive a copy of the death certificate for the above, Death Certificates are now required."

I am puzzled as to why this has become a requirement as the MOD Application Form Part 1 still states that if the date of birth of the individual was more than 116 years ago the requirement to provide a death certificate will be waived. 

The man in question died in 1962, however, they now need proof that he died more than 25 years ago.

Quote :- "The recent guidance we have been given is that we now need proof he died more than 25yrs ago and the DC will show that. "

I have pointed out that even if he had survived to the "ultimate" age of 116 and therefore died in March 1996 this would be over 25 years ago. I have also provided them with a copy of the 1939 Register which shows his date of birth, his address and indeed also shows his previous RFC Service Number. Together with this I have provided the Death List for 1962 which shows his name and age and the Probation List for 1962 which gives his date of death and his address which is the same as the one he was living in at the time of the 1939 Register.

They still will not budge, so now the long wait for his Death Certificate to be produced by the GRO before they will act.

I have never had a problem in the past obtaining records for men who served in both WW1 and WW2. Has anyone else suffered from this completely unnecessary additional requirement ?

Steve

I have a couple of requests come back with this requirement in the last year. It seems completely ridiculous and the invention of a jobsworth.

In relation to this, I have seen on another forum that feedback from the MOD has stated that if you are a third party requesting a service record you must send a death certificate and that the alternative of proving that the person was born in excess of 117 years ago is only admissible when the next of kin is applying for the service record.

That said, it is pure jobsworth when both the GRO death register and the Probate index (1858-1995) definitively prove the WW1 veteran is deceased as of the year 2021. 

It is even worse for you - I was after the DC for a fellow who died in 1967 and I have the local register information etc. I went to the GRO to get a copy, nice website, easy interface seems to be a simple process. Then I find that the records between 1957-84 for death certificates are not available as these rolls are being evaluated and will be added over time. I am not in the UK so I don't know if there is any local agency that can issue said corticate other than the GRO.

IMG_3434.jpg.70e908d9d0ff13bb18f1d2281aa2bc25.jpg

44 minutes ago, scottmarchand said:

It is even worse for you - I was after the DC for a fellow who died in 1967 and I have the local register information etc. I went to the GRO to get a copy, nice website, easy interface seems to be a simple process. Then I find that the records between 1957-84 for death certificates are not available as these rolls are being evaluated and will be added over time. I am not in the UK so I don't know if there is any local agency that can issue said corticate other than the GRO.

IMG_3434.jpg

Hi,

They are available but what it means is that with a death after 1957 you have to pay £11 to get the certifcate eventually delivered by post and cannot get the pdf version that costs £7 sent to your on-line account within a few days.  From 1957 - 1984 you also have to get the details required to order from other websites (Ancestry , FindmyPast etc) of the Quarter, Year, Place of Death, Volume & Page Number

Steve

Edited by hmsk212

Thanks for that clarification Steve - have the other register rolls with 'Quarter, Year, Plaice of Death, Volume and Page Number already. So - its a paper application to the GRO then versus online? I'll need to go back to their site and see what that procedure is. I sort of gave up after seeing the notes box I posted above. Do you know of anyone who provides these services? I can't write a cheque for GBP's from the USA.

4 hours ago, scottmarchand said:

Thanks for that clarification Steve - have the other register rolls with 'Quarter, Year, Plaice of Death, Volume and Page Number already. So - its a paper application to the GRO then versus online? I'll need to go back to their site and see what that procedure is. I sort of gave up after seeing the notes box I posted above. Do you know of anyone who provides these services? I can't write a cheque for GBP's from the USA.

Hi,

You can still apply & pay on-line if you have the references and they will issue the paper certificates to the USA with an additional charge for overseas postage. I think that they can issue up to 5 at a time for the same postal cost as 1. When ordering just go straight to "Place an Order" and not via "Search GRO Online Indexes"

Steve

Edited by hmsk212