Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Film of 3/7 Gordon Highlanders training in England, 1915.

rolt968

Following the discussion of recruitment of men of 1/7 Gordon Highlanders in England in this thread;

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/290082-j-a-barlow-gordon-highlandersramc/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-3003966

I remembered that I had seen this article in the Aberdeen Daily Journal of 30 July 1915 (my interest was in one of the men who enlisted).

Film1-7GH.jpg.154033d728aa45d2581cb4ebff0fb7ed.jpg

Has anyone come across the film?

I have checked the Scottish Screen Archives (at least the films available online) and haven't found anything.

RM

I ran across a reference to this several years ago also ( I am not sure where but it may have been when I was going through casualty lists in Aberdeen papers but I was unable to find any trace of the film. (If it was when I was looking at the paper in Aberdeen it was 2008 so much more may now be available!)

Presumably the Training in England is a reference to Bedford? in which case I wonder if Richard Galley might now something?

Chris

Edited by 4thGordons
added thought

27 minutes ago, 4thGordons said:

I ran across a reference to this several years ago also ( I am not sure where but it may have been when I was going through casualty lists in Aberdeen papers but I was unable to find any trace of the film. (If it was when I was looking at the paper in Aberdeen it was 2008 so much more may now be available!)

Presumably the Training in England is a reference to Bedford? in which case I wonder if Richard Galley might now something?

Chris

I wonder if Dove Paterson and his son made the film or if they were responsible for bringing it to Aberdeen or indeed projecting it.

I have a vague memory of seeing a small clip of highland troops training somewhere but it didn't say which unit. I suppose that might have been it, but alas it is more likely that it is lost.

RM

Looking at the article again.

At first sight you get the impression that there was one showing in Aberdeen. However it is interesting to notice that quite a number of the men who enlisted were living in rural Kincardineshire. I wonder if the film was shown a number of times on a kind of tour.

RM