Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Elm Grove

Graeme Fisher

The Drill Hall Project is alive and well, bubbling along behind the scenes, with a wealth of new material gleaned from the British Newspaper Archive. 

We're somewhere around 8,500 articles, amounting to over 2,200 A4 pages and one and a half million words. 

Sometimes it doesn't deliver. I'm currently trying to research the premises at 36 Elm Grove, Hammersmith, headquarters of I and K companies, 3rd London Rifle Volunteers, later D and E coys London Regiment. 

My earliest date is 1879. I'd love to know when the unit took over the premises and vacated them. The street was renamed Bute Gardens. I suspect the drill hall was the former St Joseph's School which still stands, now no. 3 Bute Gardens, evidenced from NLS 1865 25 inch to the mile mapping,  and later. 

I'd be grateful for any thoughts on this

Graeme

When the 3rd. London RV were formed in 1861 HQ was at Farringdon Street,

Dave

Maybe ceased as drill hall 1911-1919 ?

1910 Post Office Directory

1417218143_ScreenShot2021-04-16at21_40_11.png.71f5dd549ba7bf6fb7ef77fefdfaf251.png

1911 Census

36 Elm Grove, Hammersmith W.

Henry HEATH, head of house, age 46, married for 20 years, Soldier (Colour Serg, Inst'g Terit'l Force), born Pimlico, London

Mary Jane HEATH, wife, 44, married 20 years 5 children all living, born Winchester, Hants

Sydney Frederick HEATH, son, age 16, born Gibraltar

Reginald Albert Victor HEATH, son, age 13, born South Africa

Harold George HEATH, son, age 11, born South Africa

Violet Mabel HEATH, dau, age 9, born India

. CHALKER & Co. (Estthed MONUMENTAL MASONS, 36, ELM GROVE, 717 HAMMERSMITH ED., W Close by West Lon 'on IlostaLe. DESISM & ESTILIt.TES ou application, or representative wi .1 call by appointment. RENCVATIONS ...

Published: Friday 16 May 1919 
Newspaper: West London Observer 

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results/1910-01-01/1919-12-31?basicsearch=chalker and co monumental masons elm grove&freesearch=chalker co&somesearch=monumental masons elm grove&retrievecountrycounts=false