Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tel esh Sheria Nov 6/7th 1917. Railway station and ammo dump.

20th Division

I'm Looking in vain at a google-earth map for any evidence of the extensive Turkish supply depots and railway station that were at Tel esh Sheria in November 1917. The site is now known as 'Tel Sera' and the huge Turkish depot was south of the Wadi  along with the railway station and the ammunition dump. My Gt uncle was with the 2/23rd Londons on that fateful night of 6/7 November when the ammo dump here blew up scuppering their chance of a  surprise attack on the heavily defended Tel, he was mortally wounded and died 2 weeks later in Nasrieh hospital, Cairo. I would have thought that the Turkish depot, the Railway station and the site of the dump explosion would have left some significant evidence on the google satellite  image ----but I may be looking in the wrong place? The Tel and the railway route which skirts it are both visible up to the Wadi Sheria itself but not southwards or beyond. Apart from a glimpse of the original viaduct slope, the same lack of aerial evidence is missing from the DRONE footage of the Tel on you-tube on the 'Bible-Walks' site. Can anyone help and put me right please? Many thanks. Dave,

Thanks for the link Michael. Your location marker was spot on which verifies I had the right spot, thanks. I brought up the google earth map as my first selection-------which is same as the one I had before. The COPERNIX link however gave a similar map but with what seemed better definition, but still no sign of any surface evidence of the railway or ammo dump site south of the Wadi Sheria. There seems a lot of nice neat fields and other agricultural activity over the potential route of the railway station / dump which probably masks what was once there.

Thanks again----and best wishes. Dave. 

p.s. Does anyone know the area from the ground?