Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Jordan

Linda Ferdinand

My Grandfather George Jordan saved another soldier of the name Edward J whitaker in the First World War under enemy fire. Can anyone help me if they have heard of this or know of the families Jordan or Whitaker. 

Just now, Linda Ferdinand said:

My Grandfather George Jordan saved another soldier of the name Edward J whitaker in the First World War under enemy fire. Can anyone help me if they have heard of this or know of the families Jordan or Whitaker. 

Welcome aboard.

What regiment was he in ?

Craig

Linda

It would also be helpful to knew as well as his regiment

His date of birth  and/or where he was born

His address

His marriage details

There were 134 medals awarded to various George Jordans  and the name of the game is to narrow this down

Thanks. I assume you have got as far as his Medal Index Card, and perhaps no further?

jordan.jpg.4fa32fc3198fb196714d5706020c5cf0.jpg

From Ancestry

George was born 16th April 1890 in Chatham kent. Marriage 26th Dec about 1910/11to Violet Blanche Mattman

Thats right. We know no more then that 

OK, then look at the other man in the incident  "Edward J Whitaker"

Where did you get these details from. Is it oral family tradition, or has something been written down - Whitaker's name seems quite exact to have survived orally

The marriage was in fact in 1914 so it looks as if he was not yet a soldier at that point

jordan2.jpg.78129e38c724765cb2da4a74276da5f5.jpg

Ancestry record

No Edward J Whitaker on the Medal Index records that I can see but there is an Edward J Whittaker, #5692 London Regiment and another as R10146 KRRC (also one in the RE and one in the RGA).

Craig

Edward J Whittaker is "Edward John Brooker Whittaker" who was killed 16 Sep 1916 while , I think, with 23rd Londons - CWGC burial

Whittaker had been in France with 23rd Londons from 6 Jun 1916 until his death on 16 Sep 1916

Edited by corisande

33 minutes ago, corisande said:

Edward J Whittaker is "Edward John Brooker Whittaker" who was killed 16 Sep 1916 while , I think, with 23rd Londons - CWGC burial

Whittaker had been in France with 23rd Londons from 6 Jun 1916 until his death on 16 Sep 1916

Edward J Whittaker was a owner of a Mens Wear shop in Chatham Kent.We were told about the story through the our family but did not know if he died or not

33 minutes ago, corisande said:

38 minutes ago, corisande said:

Eward J Whittaker was the owner of a Mens Wear shop in Chatham Kent. We were told about the story through the family

38 minutes ago, corisande said:

39 minutes ago, corisande said:

On 21/02/2021 at 16:37, corisande said:

The marriage was in fact in 1914 so it looks as if he was not yet a soldier at that point

jordan2.jpg.78129e38c724765cb2da4a74276da5f5.jpg

Ancestry record

Thanks for all your help

I would like to extend my heartfelt thanks to Graig, Corisande and ss002d6252 for all the information I received about EJ Whittaker, which is helping to solve the mystery. There were 3 EJ Whittakers, one was EJ Brooker Whittaker who was killed in 1916. The one that stands out for me is EJ Whittaker who married Nellie Barratt in Islington from the 1939 register. He was the one who was the Master Tailor.

I know my Grandfather George Jordan married on the 25th Dec 1914 and his first child was born in the March Quarter of 1915. His second child ( my Uncle Jim ) was born in the Sept Quarter 1916 so he was in England throughout 1915. My query is when did he actually go to Gillipoli with the London Reg before being transfered to France with the RWK Reg. I would like to know where and when he rescued EJ Whittake, whether in Gillipoli or France. I would be grateful for any feed back

His second child ( my Uncle Jim ) was born in the Sept Quarter 1916 so he was in England throughout 1915. My query is when did he actually go to Gillipoli with the London Reg before being transfered to France with the RWK

Neither the 20th or 22nd London were in Gallipoli. George did not go overseas until after 31 Dec 1915 so wouldn't have been at Gallipoli (which was evacuated in Jan 1916).

Craig

• 1 month later...

Hi I am back again. Iam still trying to piece together my Grandfathers military units. He was in three as far as we know, Can anyone tell me what happen to the Troops in the  kensington Royal Fusiliers after they disbanded in 1918. Did they join forces with another unit or was this the West Kent Reg.