Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Treatment of Casualties due to Mustard Gas Poisoning

exXIX

Another point us that EG Hospital Ship Newhaven left Calais 14.10 on 3/11/17. Arrived Dover 08.30 on 4/11/17. Could easily have made Graylingwell same day.

TEW 

And another 'could have been'.

Suppose he was on 14 AT from Dozinghem which arrived Rouen 31/10/17. He could have been placed onto the Aberdonian which arrived S'hampton 09.15 1/11/17. Plenty of time to get to Greylingwell.

Probably many possible routes/ships home by or on 4/11/17.

TEW

2 hours ago, TEW said:

ATs # 14,15,16 & 36 evacuated from Mendinghem group. 14 twice in the possible time frame. Once to Dannes-Camiers and later to Rouen.

#14 arrived Calais 28/10/17, three ships left later that day

#15 arrived Calais 29/10/17, three hospital ships left same day

No mention of ATs in the other diaries.

Rouen Base.

Has #27 arriving from Dozinghem 30/10/17 & #14 31/10/17.

NB They also have ATs leaving Rouen with wounded for other bases for this period. Plus two hospital ships leaving.

#33 from Mendinghem arriving 1/11/17.

I'm seeing about 11 ships that left Le Havre for period.

Needles & Haystacks!

TEW

Wow that sounds crazy, how do you get the Hospital ship details and did the Home Ambulance Train system run in the same way as it did in France, was it numbered in the same way?...

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, only just seen this. Normally I start with checking the diaries for the CCSs of that group, in this case Mendinghem for any mention of ambulance trains. It may be that only one CCS gives the train numbers.

I have some ambulance train diaries and can add to that for free at present if needed. These should give a base area as a destination to offload.

Base medical diaries can then be checked for the arrival of that ambulance train (hopefully it matches up but not always!). The base diaries may show which hospital ships left port and the times. Then there are some hospital ship diaries which should give time and port of arrival.

For some specific time frames the DMS diaries have tables of ambulance train, MAC and barge evacuations so those can be checked as well.

I don't think the home evacuation trains ran under the same system, it was more of a case of arranging any available engine with X number of carriages to be at EG, Southampton dock for the high tide.

TEW

6 hours ago, TEW said:

Sorry, only just seen this. Normally I start with checking the diaries for the CCSs of that group, in this case Mendinghem for any mention of ambulance trains. It may be that only one CCS gives the train numbers.

I have some ambulance train diaries and can add to that for free at present if needed. These should give a base area as a destination to offload.

Base medical diaries can then be checked for the arrival of that ambulance train (hopefully it matches up but not always!). The base diaries may show which hospital ships left port and the times. Then there are some hospital ship diaries which should give time and port of arrival.

For some specific time frames the DMS diaries have tables of ambulance train, MAC and barge evacuations so those can be checked as well.

I don't think the home evacuation trains ran under the same system, it was more of a case of arranging any available engine with X number of carriages to be at EG, Southampton dock for the high tide.

TEW

Thank you for that, much appreciated....are the base med diaries available on TNA?, I enjoy searching through their archives and it's still free to download at the moment....

Yes they are, and free! I sorted out a spreadsheet of them a while ago. I think I just searched medical services as a phrase and the base name EG. Rouen as a word restricting the search to WO95.

That should at least give a start point. There were some odd, perhaps short lived medical service appointments in lesser known towns.

TEW 

On 09/05/2021 at 21:03, TEW said:

Yes they are, and free! I sorted out a spreadsheet of them a while ago. I think I just searched medical services as a phrase and the base name EG. Rouen as a word restricting the search to WO95.

That should at least give a start point. There were some odd, perhaps short lived medical service appointments in lesser known towns.

TEW 

Thank you for that, will spend some time browsing I think...

• 1 year later...

My Great Uncle, Max Bonor was affected by Mustard gas with respiratory damage.  Volunteers were taken for an experimental procedure.  Him and a buddy volunteered.  At this time, not as much was known about transplants and so the few that worked were a matter of luck than science at the time.  Still he received a limited transplant from a soldier who had recently died but with healthy lungs.  He was listed as one of 5% to 10% who lived. His buddy did not. Max was a veteran of WW1 and WW2 hoping to avoid the mud of France he served in the Pacific doing aviation maintenance -- so much for evading the mud on island air strips such as in Guam.  He died of old age at 102.  He gave up smoking on the reason that they other guy's lung did not sign up for this.

Edited by great nephew
Verting