Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for a soldier in North Staffordshire Regt

Christopher Nixon

I am trying to find my fathers service number etc; he states on his home guard application that he served with the North Staffordshire Regiment from 1913 to 1914 prior to joining up to serve in WW1. Can you point me in the right direction to make some further enquiries?

Kindest regards,

Chris Nixon.

I'm sure we would like to help you but do we know his name? Have I missed it?

George

,,,or use any of the sites like Ancestry, Find my Past or Forces War Records

• 7 months later...

SORRY ABOUT THE SILENCE TO YOUR QUERY. MY SON AND I ARE CURRENTLY AT A LOSS TO GO FORWARD BY TRYING TO FIND MY FATHERS WW1 SERVICE RECORDS OR WHY.

WE HAVE BEEN TRYING TO FIND MORE DETAILS ABOUT HIM VIA THE ANCESTORY AND FIND MY PAST SEARCH SITES OVER THE LAST YEAR. BUT TO NO AVAIL.

ON HIS HOME GUARD  RECORD HE HAS 23.1.1895 AS HIS BIRTHDATE, HOWEVER, THE LATEST FROM A CENSUS FORM WAS A BIRTH DATE OF 23.1.1894!

ANOTHER OF THE ENTRIES ON HIS HOME GUARD APPLICATION WAS THAT HE SERVED IN THE "ROYAL ARMY SIGNALS CORP (18TH DIVISION) FROM 1914 TO 1919". 

THAT IS THE DEPTH OF KNOWN INFO WE HAVE .  many thanks for your query and keep safe in the current atmosphere.

kindest regards, Chris Nixon.

• Admin

We still don't have his full name. Approximately 60% of Great War service records were destroyed during a bombing raid in the second war. It is likely that his records haven't survived.

Michelle 

1 hour ago, Christopher Nixon said:

"ROYAL ARMY SIGNALS CORP (18TH DIVISION) FROM 1914 TO 1919"

Well that rather suggests ROYAL ENGINEERS to me [as the Royal Army Signal Corps didn't come into existence until 1920].

:-) M

41 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

That is what he has on the tree- 18th Div Sig Co RE

OK, RE. [I can't see the Ancestry tree]

What we now really need are some more details like his full name - John or Joseph and/or whatever.

And perhaps a few other details like an address - at least a village/town of residence - a much poorer option could be county.

As might be able to find him that way via the "Survivors''" disability pension claim card records at WFA/Fold3.

Another option using RE and his name(s) and address could be via local newspapers - various reasons why he might be in there - they were not just for obituaries.

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
addit

Signals and a pre-war service would typically indicate a TF man who was part of the signal section. Being born 1894 would make him 17 in 1911, so old enough for TF and SR enlistment.

North Staffs service from 1913 would support this however no North Staffs served with 18 Div so he must have either been discharged & re-enlisted or was transferred.

With 18 Div you'd also be looking at a July 1915 date of entry to France.

Craig

On 11/04/2021 at 02:30, Matlock1418 said:

I can't see the Ancestry tree

It helps but the tree needs to be treated with caution as I am of the impression there is uncertainty about some of the data ! Apart from 1939 Register (birth 1884) and Death Registrations JanQ 1944 there are no other sources given.

Courtesy Ancestry:

294893087_GWFNixonNthStaffsAncestryTree.JPG.2e0e9bbfba752c6adc9ea3e79d7e4741.JPG

I have decided that the records must have been destroyed, so I am closing my thread down. 

Kindest regards to all.  Chris Nixon.

24 minutes ago, Christopher Nixon said:

I have decided that the records must have been destroyed, so I am closing my thread down. 

Kindest regards to all.  Chris Nixon.

It may well be out there but without more certainty on the man's background it's never going to be easy.  Even with a destroyed service record, if we have enough background info, it's still possible to identify him from other records.

Craig

• 1 year later...

charlie962ss002d6252Michelle YoungMatlock1418

Thank you all for your input. We have all the known "information" about my father that we can gather. However, just as you have pointed out in the above, there are many questions we have to sort out before we can move forward. Since my last entry we have ventured out into the family history area, but to no avail. The areas we are working from are from my memory. And those memories mostly revolve around the photographs I can recall as having seen as a school child, and the items my mother used to pull out of a large brown handbag she kept with all items that are relevant i.e., war medals, photographs, certificates etc. But we are not able to find this handbag as my brother or his family have discarded it. No problem though, we are still searching for him.

Kindest regards, Chris Nixon.

Do please come back when you feel happy to confirm his name and any other details eg date of birth and where born. 

Although his service record is probably lost, we can often deduce useful info from contemporaries. 

Charlie

At 81 years of age, I shall shortly be asking him myself! However, we will impart any information (THAT WE FIND TO BE CORRECT).

I recently had a DNA service done by "Ancestory", and the conclusion was that 90% of my DNA points to the Potteries. And my closest match was in "Cornwall".

We are still trying to see if it helps at all. Chris Nixon.