The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private James Dawson 5678 Royal Berkshire regiment

MoodieCheshire

He was awarded. 1914 Star with clasp and Rose, British War medal, Victory medal and a Blood Badge number 50519.

Any further information anyone could provide would be gratefully received

Looks like he was in 2 Royal Berks Rgt

image.png.d73b786ce6b6c096fb490750949336fb.png

The War diary is HERE on National Archives, register or sign in to download for free

Reference: WO 95/1729/1
Description:

2 Battalion Royal Berkshire Regiment

Date: 1914 Oct. - 1919 Apr.

3 hours ago, jonbem said:

Looks like he was in 2 Royal Berks Rgt

image.png.d73b786ce6b6c096fb490750949336fb.png

The War diary is HERE on National Archives, register or sign in to download for free

Reference: WO 95/1729/1
Description:

2 Battalion Royal Berkshire Regiment

Date: 1914 Oct. - 1919 Apr.

80082E9D-9106-48A9-A910-1DCD0E644D6D.jpeg

7C53639D-8F7E-4734-8FF7-386A01D41F64.jpeg

42291720-2DB2-4230-9ED8-358F8C3503A5.jpeg

image.jpg

Yes 2nd battalion, And thanks for the dairy’s information! Having a look now hoping to find out where and how wounded I have a little white box with what looks like a piece of shrapnel!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

3 hours ago, clk said:

Hi,

He has a brief set of service papers on Findmypast - link.

Regards

Chris

Thank you for your help will have a look 

Two pension claim cards at WFA/Fold3 for DAWSON, 5678

They don't tell much beyond a regional claim reference of "11/M/333698" [So in SE England Region]

One of them interestingly has "George James DAWSON R. Berks. 5678 - See under James DAWSON" [my underlining]

Did he have anther forename? Or is this just a clerking issue?

??

:-) M

• Admin

Is that a Gloucestershire Regiment back badge next to the button and and above the shoulder title? 

I believe it’s the Royal Gloucestershire Berkshire and Wiltshire regiment cap and back badge, I was given his medals for a while now, but only today come across his Christmas tin and other goodies. So the Cap badges in the picture with his medals are ones I put with them until I could figure which I needed. Turns out my father in law had them all along !

Matlock 1418, sorry for my slow reply we have been dealing with a death in the family, I have found his birth certificate, it looks like he choose to use his middle name. But his true name was George James Dawson _ 7968DD4B-9C33-45CA-8016-618B0CB0966C.jpeg.24e9cdbc5db5dd2ed42f7e8e0c52bf8a.jpeg

4FBD982E-6768-4B32-9918-6A237D0D7D48.jpeg

4 minutes ago, MoodieCheshire said:

Matlock 1418, sorry for my slow reply we have been dealing with a death in the family, I have found his birth certificate, it looks like he choose to use his middle name. But his true name was George James Dawson _ 

Firstly - My condolences to all.

Secondly - Not a slow reply [some literally take years]

Lastly - Good to know his full name as may help you and other searchers.

Good luck.

4 minutes ago, MoodieCheshire said:

can the pension forms can be viewed, And if so where.

Viewed = Via the Western Front Association and their website [pension records] https://www.westernfrontassociation.com or at Fold3 [an Ancestry off-shoot]

Both pay sites - though WFA is my preferred choice as it sort of repays their effort in saving them in the first place and I like their other offerings too.

I have transcribed, above in italics, the main relevant content off the two cards.

Additionally the James DAWSON card [with a printer's mark of 11/16, i.e. Nov. 1916] has a struck-through annotation of SCE 86 [Which I think is an original/early Chelsea Hospital reference] and another annotation of 76098/D - neither of which annotation can I help you further with I'm afraid .

To be frank they are a pair of/amongst the most limited content cards I have seen :-/ - though the second card with the extra/first forename was a bit different and I hope will perhaps prove helpful.

These pictures I’m guessing are a campaign chest marker, I’m a little intrigued by the fact that it says China, on it ?  Please correct my if I’m wrong and any further information would be gratefully received 

AB51B596-7575-4147-A381-1D89B7A563B2.jpeg

B3EA351C-9EE1-4905-95A1-CD1C802B64B2.jpeg

35 minutes ago, MoodieCheshire said:

I’m a little intrigued by the fact that it says China, on it ?

The 2nd Bn R Berks (or 66th Berkshire Regt of Foot as it was) had adopted the China Dragon after the Opium Wars of 1840-43. After 1881 Cardwell reforms the same badge was presumably adopted by both battalions.

Normally thes plates are bedplates but the two slots in the side suggest a strap is passed through.

The Victorian crown above suggests issue close to  1899 when he first enlisted. His service record says he was 1st Bn until Nov 1902 when posted to 2nd Bn.

Edited by charlie962

His service record (linked above by Chris) shows he was wounded GSW (= gunshot wound but probably shell splinter wound ?) in action between 10th and 15th March 1915.

However the local paper (courtesy FindmyPast) tells us it was Neuve Chapelle 10/3/15

1924130823_GWFDawsonBerksRegtwounded.JPG.53d89161957acd2fa6ea54c0ca91d7d1.JPG

The War Diary link provide by Jonbem above should expand on what was going on at the time in the Bn.

Charlie

PS great to have all that memorabilia. Thanks for sharing.

Charlie962. It’s all come to the surface after a family member passed away a couple of weeks ago! We didn’t know it still existed ? Thank you for your input.