Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Older Austrain Ammo pouches

Steve1871

These are pre War, but most equipment was. 
patt 1903 equipment British and German and French all used pre-war model equipment 

Took a long time to get a good set, Left/Right.

Usually only find one. Hey Andy, do you know the model/year type for these??

18E07589-C874-46D0-9A07-AE688D110ACE.jpeg.7895d7dd1fabc06e5d9873a4d6b65c00.jpeg

DDA1A8B2-BD00-4037-86E3-7C0B87FA2B3E.jpeg.81a7abd17367b04032292e574b9b462b.jpeg

Just notice, both photos are of same pouch, I do have the other, trying to find more photos

I must be loosing my mind, these are left and right, the one dated 1915 is great for the forum

This system of pouches are not typical for austrian M95, but i am not expert in ammo pouches, with German made it could be for Bulgaria WW1. the pouch is typical more for M1888/90 rifle and earlier pouches probably. But wait for expert opinions. You should proof the equipment area here in forum.

Edited by AndyBsk

Seen these for sale once in a while for many years, everybody called them Austrain, will try other forum section

The system is similar as Gew88 pouches or later Landsturm pouches, here evidently for austrian ammo clips, angled. But with the german maker i would tend to ally Bulgarian equipment, as they had large numbers of M88/90 Mannlicher rifles.

Given as Austrian infanterie patronentasche M. 1888 in " Patronentaschen, Patronengurtel und Banduliere 1850-1950" von Alfred A. Kruck (2000).

As you mentionned, largely used in Bulgaria with the Manlicher 18888 and 1888/90.

Several German producers in connexion with the entrance of Bulgaria in WW1. 

The most important Alfred Buhler in Stuttgart (10 000 paars). Others registrated Gustav Reinhart ( your picture) , Franz Cobau,, Wunderlisch (Berlin), Sattlerinnung (Hannoner), Sattler Lieferverband (Leipzig), Maury (Offenbach ) Muhlenfeld ( Barmen).

Kind regards

Thanks Very much  Gabelou. A big help. Being originally for a larger caliber, it is odd that the same pouch kept being produced 25+ years later, with other rifled/ carbines being produced M.93.  M.95. And maybe one or two others, I have not researched what arms Austria produced/used in that preriod

Dear Steve, 

This pouch was used for the first Mannlicher 1886 in 11 mm and Mannlicher 1890 in 8 mm. The profile of the bottom of the cartridge is the same, alowing the re-use of Mannlicher amo clips and poutches.

There are some similarities with the Lebel 8 mm cartridge who keep the bottom of the Gras 11 mm cartridge...

Tgank’s again there, Gabelou

Nice to know exactly what you have. I get to learn more all the time😊