Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Albert MacDonald KLR casualty - only has a foster mother to work from

davidbohl

Pte Albert MacDonald #31631 King's Liverpool CWGC

I'm trying unravel this chap but all I have to work from is his Effects and Pension that give his foster mother Louisa MacDonald.

Can't spot them on any census record so does the pension record have an address to work from?

Many thanks

Dave

The only record I can come up with is Albert Knowles in 1911 aged 13

From FamilySearch

MacDonaldA_1911.png.ced3b459d2daea853d676e3ca8ac8258.png

The address on the pension cards is 15 Pennington Cottages, High Street, Wavertree. That doesn't seem to help with the 1911 Census, as 15 High Street was then the home of Frederick & Sarah Newcombe, and no members of the household were named Albert or Louisa, or were otherwise born in Liverpool. Of course, in another 12 months we should have access to the 1922 Census so maybe that would help?

Best I can come up with is Albert McDonald, age 15, living with his grandfather James McDonald at Rankin Street, Toxteth. Also Louisa McDonald, age 31, a married visitor at the home of Stanley & Marcella Holmes, Upper Hill Street, Toxteth. Maybe coincidence but both are close to Wavertree.

The record David found is probably better... the address in 1911 for that household was 14 Longfellow Street. Going back to 1901 they were at 166 Tunnel Road, Edge Hill: Louisa was a widow even then and head of the household, and 2 year old Albert Knowles is listed as her "adopted son".

10 minutes ago, PaulC78 said:

The address on the pension cards is 15 Pennington Cottages, High Street, Wavertree. That doesn't seem to help with the 1911 Census, as 15 High Street was then the home of Frederick & Sarah Newcombe, and no members of the household were named Albert or Louisa, or were otherwise born in Liverpool. Of course, in another 12 months we should have access to the 1922 Census so maybe that would help?

Best I can come up with is Albert McDonald, age 15, living with his grandfather James McDonald at Rankin Street, Toxteth. Also Louisa McDonald, age 31, a married visitor at the home of Stanley & Marcella Holmes, Upper Hill Street, Toxteth. Maybe coincidence but both are close to Wavertree.

Louisa is listed as being '66' in 1919/20. This is in a box for date of birth so presumably it's DoB rather than age.

EDIT:

An an age it would match David's candidate in 1919/20.

Craig

3 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Louisa is listed as being '66' in 1919/20. This is in a box where for date of birth so presumably it's DoB rather than age.

Craig

Yeah, missed that first time round. I'd assume it's her age rather than DoB though, that would tie in with the above census where Louisa was 56 in 1911, i.e. born around 1855.

Well done all, I think the "adopted son" on the 1901 Census nails it for me.

Edit:

there is a birth certificate for him on Lancs BMD

KNOWLES  Albert   1898 Wavertree  Lancashire  Liverpool

Edited by davidbohl
birth cert