The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Patt 1907 grip markings

sabre

Anyone have an info on the grip markings on my 1915 dated 1907 bayonet as most i have seen do not have them ?.

P1030756.JPG

P1030755.JPG

P1030758.JPG

Edited by sabre

I believe they are standard inspection stamps (crown over number over -in this case E for Enfield)

I have a number with these stamps and they all appear like this, such marks also appear on rifle wood furniture.

I don't know if ALL bayonet grips originally had them but swelling of the wood and general refinishing etc have erased them from many, or if just certain one have them but they are reasonably common on bayonets which are in good shape like the one you picture. Somewhere I think I have some NOS grips and if I am recalling correctly they are stamped in the same way.

Chris

Yes Chris my bayonet does not seem to have had a lot of use and abuse so perhaps that is why the markings still remain.

Mike

Does it look like 3 WFL to you?

So it would probably be atypical marking (so perhaps suspect)  but 3rd (Royal) Welsh Fusiliers?  (WF is the standard marking but the 3rd Bn were a Reserve battalion and moved from near Liverpool to Ireland in 1917 and spent the rest of the war there - perhaps explaining the nice shape of the bayonet.

Chris

I’m wondering if it’s 3 WEL, with a poorly struck E, making it 3rd (reserve) Welch regiment.???

I agree with Chris, the fact it’s been with the reserves has certainly meant it has stayed in that great condition with its brown scabbard.
Nice 14 pattern frog....is there a strap on the back for the helve carrier??, (some were made without for training and reserve regiments who didn’t carry the entrenching tool).

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/welsh-regiment/

Dave.

Edited by Dave66

Ok thanks for the info, that could certainly explain the condition of the bayonet.

As for the frog it did not come with the bayonet i brought it at a later date and yes it does have it's helve carrier.

Mike

P1040385.JPG

What is the stamp above the helve carrier tab ?  Looks like it might be D ? ?

I wondered if it might be  D^D? but the last one looks like it might be a C or broad arrow in a C?

Chris

Job to say looks like a D and something then C G O or possibly 6.

Could it be of any significance ?.

Mike

P1060037.JPG

Edited by sabre