Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA or RGA

Derek Tickner

Hi Derek. The bandolier suggests he was a mounted soldier which doesn't rule out either and would also include the Royal Horse Artillery. Would you be able to give us his name?

If you can give a name for him, it would help.

Derek,

A name would certainly help - The cap badge was essentially the same for RA [as I suspect you know/fear!].

And place of residence for him and/or his family

And names of his parents and wife (if married at that time) - sometimes possible to come at it from another direction.

Meantime -

Have you noticed that his puttees appear to be wound top > down in the style of horse-mounted artillery drivers? [and cavalry too] - to help calf grip on the horse's flanks so as to aid the rider's seat [Not the infantry way of bottom > up].

Also, what appears to be a single inverted Good Conduct chevron on his lower left arm?

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
addits

It is difficult to see in the pic if he is wearingriding breeches [ think he might be] but can see no spurd.

Thank you for your comments...its my grandad 297/290580 Gnr William Tickner (aged 17 on enlistment,he lied about his age,dob 1898 he put 1896)i have his discharge papers as 141st HB RGA,it also states that his Regt or Corps on which posted is the RFA,?? i have his MIC,only gives 141st RGA.

He enlisted in Caerphilly 10/4/15,to where i dont know,(thats the problem)my family say he was injured out the war in Beaumont Hamel,i have the diaries of 141st and 86th HAG and the 141st only got to Ypres,im trying to sort out this confusion,the more i dig into it the more im loving it,any info however small is a massive bonus,ive requested info before on GWF lots of brilliant info but not quite enough of his RFA and possible transfer to RGA

Edited by Derek Tickner

32 minutes ago, Derek Tickner said:

297/290580 Gnr William Tickner

Thought we'd seen the photo before and previously discussed this man.

As you enjoy digging deeper- Did you manage to look at his pension cards at WFA/Fold3?

RGA on his 'survivor's' disability pension card

Discharged: 14.3.19

27/6 pw from 15.3.19 to 17.6.19

Living at: Tyne View Terrace. Howden-on-Tyne, Northumberland

It's amazing what more there is out there.

Good luck.

Hi Derek,

You don't mention his Silver War Badge, No.B210744 on list RGA/1605. Para xvi KR, physically unfit. Confirms he was wounded.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

26 minutes ago, The Inspector said:

Hi Derek,

You don't mention his Silver War Badge, No.B210744 on list RGA/1605. Para xvi KR, physically unfit. Confirms he was wounded.

Regards Barry

Thanks Barry yes he had his left leg amputated with what ive been told as a 'Double discharge' but im more into the theory of a premature fuse as the diaries mention a lot,he did geg the SWB...family deny having his medals and SWB....

36 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Thought we'd seen the photo before and previously discussed this man.

As you enjoy digging deeper- Did you manage to look at his pension cards at WFA/Fold3?

RGA on his 'survivor's' disability pension card

Discharged: 14.3.19

27/6 pw from 15.3.19 to 17.6.19

Living at: Tyne View Terrace. Howden-on-Tyne, Northumberland

It's amazing what more there is out there.

Good luck.

No i haven't got his Pension cards/fold 3,nor his disability pension card

16 minutes ago, Derek Tickner said:

No i haven't got his Pension cards/fold 3,nor his disability pension card

Best searching under Tickner, 290580

In addition to the above pension card transcription - see your other threads https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/282100-290580-gunner-william-tickner-141st-hb-rga and https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/287878-artillery-accident/?tab=comments#comment-2972220

The ledger card records a disability injury - Ampd left leg and an address 47 Grove Street, Willington Quay on Tyne [a part image in the 1st thread]

And another, later, card refers to him as Alfred William George TICKNER and William TICKNER, 27/4/1932

• Admin

This has all been gone over multiple times before on multiple threads for this man.

He likely joined an RFA unit within the proposed Welsh Army Corps was being raised and he would have had a 4-digit number with a W-prefix.

As explained on a different thread for this man, a HB was then raised and men were taken from RFA units and transferred to this newly created RGA unit entitled the 38th (Welsh) HB, from which his later and final numbers of 297/290580 originate.

An example of this is provided by the record of Charles Shipton with the near RGA numbers 300/290508 and who appears on the same medal roll page as Tickner. He was formerly W/4948 RFA.

I will put up a link to the other threads for this man below - it is far better to have one single thread please on a single man so members do not have to re-create the research & answers already provided by other members previously. I did request this on an earlier thread.

Regards

Russ

290583 Shipton RGA before RFA with W Prefix.jpg

• Admin