Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where do these quotes from General Pershing originate?

Gustavus Von Dark

The first, and by far the more common of the pair is:

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle"

Unfortunately, in all my research, I simply couldn't find anyone who expounds on the context or circumstances of these quotes, simply claiming that Pershing said them, and moving on; The second quote in question being this:

"Why in hell can't The U.S. Army do it if the Marines can? They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines?"

I made an account here since I figured the folks here would know the most info on this.

8 minutes ago, Gustavus Von Dark said:

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle"

Could it be typical internet misappropriation, the line was used in Kubrick’s Full Metal Jacket:

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman:
The deadliest weapon in the world is a marine and his rifle. It is your killer instinct which must be harnessed if you expect to survive in combat. Your rifle is only a tool. It is a hard heart that kills. If your killer instincts are not clean and strong you will hesitate at the moment of truth. You will not kill. You will become dead marines and then you will be in a world of **** because marines are not allowed to die without permission. Do you maggots understand?

On 06/04/2021 at 16:51, BFBSM said:

Could it be typical internet misappropriation, the line was used in Kubrick’s Full Metal Jacket:

I wouldn't be surprised.

7 hours ago, David Filsell said:

How very American! urraghhh.

Worry not, should I ever ask a question on here again, it ought to be much more interesting and relevant to the war  than trying to trace some offhand quotes, which are most likely fictitious 

On 06/04/2021 at 21:40, Gustavus Von Dark said:

The first, and by far the more common of the pair is:

Unfortunately, in all my research, I simply couldn't find anyone who expounds on the context or circumstances of these quotes, simply claiming that Pershing said them, and moving on; The second quote in question being this:

I made an account here since I figured the folks here would know the most info on this.

Hi Gustavus. Please forgive me if you know this but General Pershing said “The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle” when discussing the conduct of the US Marines at the Battle of Belleau Wood in June 1918. This is the link to the US Marines website https://www.6thmarines.marines.mil/Units/1st-Battalion/History/

I hope that is of some interest.