Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAF/RFC Service Record - WW1 -understanding some of the entries

David643

Hello,

I am researching an individual who transferred to the RFC/RAF from the Army in the latter stages of WW1 and there are two parts of his service record which I don't understand and hoped Forum Readers may be able to help me.

The sections have abbreviations and codes used by the RFC/RAF which I am hoping may unlock more information about his service. I think one extract relates to an honourable discharge from the service but I do not understand the reference to discharge and "Commission". The other extract has information about No 1 and then 6TTW.

If any Forum users who have a greater knowledge of these records than myself could help me I would be most grateful for assistance.

Thank you for your time in looking at my posting

David2143471756_OvendenACBRAF-forextracts1.jpg.8fdba4d5ed8e5f6696d9ee7cd0fdb7e5.jpg1912781017_OvendenACBRAF-forextracts2.jpg.d3e5910195a22f0611ef6069f84065e8.jpg

11 minutes ago, David643 said:

honourable discharge from the service but I do not understand the reference to discharge and "Commission".

The discharge is normal for other ranks, immediately prior to being granted a commission. In his case an honorary Commission, under Air Ministry Weekly Order....

No expert. But I think it is probably No. 1 OTTW. So probably something to do with officer technical training. Trying to find a ref.

No 1 Technical Training School I think was at or near Reading.

Edited by Mark1959

He will probably have an Officers Service Record in addition to the Other Ranks one you already have for him. 

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you all very much for the information provided which certainly helps me to better understand the text on the service record