Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Some Desperate Glory - Post No. 5 Query

MDPMicahDominicParsons

Hello everyone,

I have been reading about 2nd Lieutenant Edwin Campion Vaughan's experience in Biaches and I wanted to share some potential research with you all.

2nd Lieutenant Edwin Campion Vaughan reports that on the night of Monday 12th March 1917 and Tuesday 13th March 1917 that, "Corporal Bennett was in command, and he appeared to have through windup. when I had spoken a few words to them and was moving in down the trench, he came after me and asked if he could be relievedas he had lost his nerve. He was shaking in fear and I felt very sorry for him, but knowing that he would have to stick it, and that if I showed any clemancy the rot would spread, I told him that he was to return to his post at once, and set an example to his men instead of creeping away to ask to be allowed to run away from danger. This steadied him up, and he lost his nervous trembling. Pulling himself together he appologised in a firm voice, saying that he could not understand why he had cracked up then, as he had been in much hotter places without turning a hair. I told him not to worry and went on to post no. 4".

"Going into the cellar after stand-down, I found Holmes making out a casualty report. When we had reached no. 3 post, he had found Corporal Bennet dead, with three men; the other three men of the post were wounded. A few moments after I had left them a bomb had fallen amongst them".

"The night too was very much quieter although another bomb fell in no. 3 post killing one and wounding two".

"During the tour I buried the casualties of the last night, in shell holes behind the post where they were killed".

The war diary of The 1/8th Battlion, The Royal Warwickshire Regiment reports that on Tuesday 13th March 1917 that four men were killed which included two sergeants and two corporals from D Company and one corporal from A Company was wounded.

I believe the men killed in this action may have been as follows;

Assevillers New British Cemetery:

. Corporal P. Everitt (305684) - exhumed from 62C.H.35.B.9.9.

. Sergeant T. Phillips (305169) - exhumed from  62C.H.35.B.9.9.

. Corporal Henry Hollins (305783) - exhumed 62C.H.35.9.9.

Thiepval Memorial to The Missing:

. Lance Sergeant Alfred Henry Bennett (305681) (at 22 years of age).

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for helping to to locate any probably locations of where post no. 5 was in Biaches?

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

Edited by MicahDominicParsons

• MDPMicahDominicParsons changed the title to Some Desperate Glory - Post No. 5 Query