Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RSM with Hampshire Yeomanry? badge ID?

battiscombe

Showing my ignorance here (not difficult) but why is the prominent portly gentleman in the centre of the original group photo wearing his Sam Browne differently to all the other individuals?

4 hours ago, trooper23 said:

Showing my ignorance here (not difficult) but why is the prominent portly gentleman in the centre of the original group photo wearing his Sam Browne differently to all the other individuals?

It’s an interesting observation.  By convention it’s the wrong way around when compared with the commissioned officers and the WOs1 in the photo.  My assumption, given the circumstances is that it was either, a peculiar regimental tradition (there were a number of these relating to the Sam Browne belt), or perhaps because he appears to be a WOII and so not ordinarily among the group who traditionally wore the belt.  It’s not a very common aberration.

Edited by FROGSMILE

There is some interesting variability of practice here.. .. I presume we have here the c/o, adjutant, 'RSM' (NSomYeo) and SquadronSgtMajors and SquadronQMSgts..there were 3 squadrons I believe. One might suspect there was no argument about the seating arrangements..

675401787_HantsYeomanry.png.a3e48a35e4671dbab7697d4d8d6a8cb0.png

Given that the two WOs wearing the Sam Browne differently to normal both appear to be a fair bit older than the other WOs could they, perhaps, be QMs and following a regimental ruling to distinguish them as QMs?. Just a thought.   Pete.

35 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

Given that the two WOs wearing the Sam Browne differently to normal both appear to be a fair bit older than the other WOs could they, perhaps, be QMs and following a regimental ruling to distinguish them as QMs?. Just a thought.   Pete.

Yes Pete, I hadn’t spotted the other fellow on the right.  I’m quite confident in the light of that that you’ve once again hit the nail on the head.  I entirely concur.

I see from this web site that Adjutants of the Yeomanry came from the Regular Cavalry.

That explains the presence of Capt. Granville 3rd Hussars in my 1907 photo, and also lists him as being such at that time.

It doesn't explain the presence of a WO from another Yeomanry unit.

https://www.britishempire.co.uk/forces/armyunits/yeomanry/hampshireyeomanryadjutants.htm 

3 hours ago, Alan24 said:

I see from this web site that Adjutants of the Yeomanry came from the Regular Cavalry.

That explains the presence of Capt. Granville 3rd Hussars in my 1907 photo, and also lists him as being such at that time.

It doesn't explain the presence of a WO from another Yeomanry unit.

https://www.britishempire.co.uk/forces/armyunits/yeomanry/hampshireyeomanryadjutants.htm 

I can only imagine that he was attached for duty Alan.  Knowing his background would help.  Perhaps he had been a musketry instructor, or signals sergeant earlier in his service.  There’s usually a reason for such postings.

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 09/04/2021 at 21:32, CorporalPunishment said:

Thank you for the reply - certainly answers the question 

1 hour ago, trooper23 said:

Thank you for the reply - certainly answers the question 

Yes it does make sense, as the Quarter-master Sergeants were the next most senior enlisted ranks after the regimental sergeant major (of Yeomanry) and would usually stand in during his absence, as you probably know.

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 15/04/2021 at 10:27, FROGSMILE said:

Yes it does make sense, as the Quarter-master Sergeants were the next most senior enlisted ranks after the regimental sergeant major (of Yeomanry) and would usually stand in during his absence, as you probably know.

'Senior enlisted ranks'? For shame!

46 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

'Senior enlisted ranks'? For shame!

I’ve started using that term only recently because I find that the uninitiated don’t immediately understand “other ranks” (it’s been such a long time since national service!), but it does grate on me I admit.  Much of the younger population are raised on American TV nowadays and it saves me having to explain.  Apologies if that makes me a sell out Steven ;)

Edited by FROGSMILE

The phrase would never cross my lips, nor find a place on my computer screen. Up there with 'bathroom' for toilet, or 'train station' for railway station. If they don't understand, they can ask: that's what education is about ... not dumbing down to the LCD.

I bet your baseball cap is on back to front. ;)

Edited by Steven Broomfield

3 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

The phrase would never cross my lips, nor find a place on my computer screen. Up there with 'bathroom' for toilet, or 'train station' for railway station. If they don't understand, they can ask: that's what education is about ... not dumbing down to the LCD.

I bet your baseball cap is on back to front. ;)

Yes I’m sure you’re right Steven, it’s all about standards after all. :thumbsup:

Just avoid 'PFC' and 'First Lieutenant (pronounced Lootenant)'

3 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Just avoid 'PFC' and 'First Lieutenant (pronounced Lootenant)'

I think you know I wasn't going there.....  That said explain to me the etymological logic behind Leftenant?

Edited by FROGSMILE