Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

German first burials

Can anyone assist please .I know that British first burials were recorded and when the remains were later recovered  the location recorded eg X20a...even with a sub square map reference.

Did the Germans record their recoveries in a similar way? Thanks again Zil

Hello,

The Germans made elaborate lists of burials (own and "enemy") for each area (commune). Reburials were usually very well documented (and reported to the Red Cross in case of "enemy" burials). Unfortunately, a lot of these lists were lost since 1914. They didn't use coordinates but had accomanying maps with exact locations of graves. (One has to bear in mind that from 1915 to 1918, field graves were concentrated to avoid that they would get lost.)

Jan

Thanks Jan..That’s really useful.I’m researching a German soldier KIA 23/6/16.Poelkapelle area.The Volksbund has two recorded burials for him but a relative believes he also had a battlefield burial before that.Your info gives support to  that belief...even though the exact location may never be ascertained.

Zil

Hi Zil,

if you know the unit down to company or at least regimental level one can try to find out where they were on that date.

GreyC

Thanks GreyC.It’s a long long story but I am returning the grave marker to his grandson.Any further info would be appreciated.ZilB39A02E4-64FD-42B6-8521-77CF8490F8E6.jpeg.cb724f28d7a3754419bb2050d29f2f10.jpeg

There's only one grave for the man: German cemetery Langemark B/18557. The grave was transferred there in the mid 1950's coming from the German cemetery "am Pelikan". The grave marker is the type used from ca 1930 at "am Pelikan" until the graves were moved to Langemark.

Jan

Hi Jan,

were exactly was the cemetery "Am Pelikan" situated, what village or city was in the vicinity, please?

Thanks!

GreyC

This is really appreciated...This was provided by his grandson ,taken by a Belgium couple in 1930.What led me to believe there was a third burial was the difference in the Cross.I don’t know the location where it was taken .ZilCA665C05-37E4-488A-AFDF-171074BC08A0.jpeg.20ab84b50c66550ca37a138c8eddd84e.jpeg

11 minutes ago, ZIL said:

This is really appreciated...This was provided by his grandson ,taken by a Belgium couple in 1930.What led me to believe there was a third burial was the difference in the Cross.I don’t know the location where it was taken .ZilCA665C05-37E4-488A-AFDF-171074BC08A0.jpeg.20ab84b50c66550ca37a138c8eddd84e.jpeg

No, that's a wartime picture, probably taken by comrades or by the German burial officer for the family. The cemetery was destroyed in 1917 and provisionally restored after the war by the Belgians until the Germans took over after 1925 when they put the grave marker you have (late 1920s-1930). The burials of Am Pelikan were not moved between 1914/16 and ca 1956.

34 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Hi Jan,

were exactly was the cemetery "Am Pelikan" situated, what village or city was in the vicinity, please?

Thanks!

GreyC

It was located between Poelkapelle and Houthulst Forest (NE of crossroads Stadensteenweg and Houthulstseweg).

That’s superb.It clarifies such a lot.I will pass on all your contributions to the grandson.He will be amazed.

I cannot thank you enough.Zil

Thank you, Jan!

His death was publicised relatively promptly after his death in the German Verlustliste on the 6th July 1916.

ZIL,

you can download the regimental history here. He is mentioned in it several times, there is also a photo of him in it. You will find informations around the fighting that cost his life:

http://digital.wlb-stuttgart.de/sammlungen/sammlungsliste/werksansicht/?no_cache=1&tx_dlf[id]=14360&tx_dlf[page]=1

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Thanks GreyC, I’ll work on the download...cannot thank you enough for all the info.Zil