Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

256 Siege Battery Ernest William Snary

LEGRAND

Good morning all,

I am French. I live in the north of France. My 17th century house has certainly always been a resting place for soldiers during wars.(WW1 World War I) (The last were German soldiers during World War II).

Right now, I have to redo the attic floor. Under the floor, I find objects of British soldiers from the Great War. Cigarette butts, matchboxes, matches, chocolate wrappers, buttons, playing card and envelope, stamp and letters ...
It is moving to find the traces of the passage of men who left their country for this terrible war.

I absolutely have to do this floor. A company would smash the whole floor and vacuum everything up with a big vacuum cleaner. So I do this on my own, but it takes a lot longer.

All these objects that are of value to me because they make the history of this house. But honestly, I don't know if they really have an interest.

So in your opinion, is there such a historic interest in recording all of this?
I await your answers.

On an envelope I can read if I'm not mistaken ...

?? W. Pnavy 117? 4
256 Seat Battery
R.G.A.
B.E.7
France

I translate with the "translate.google" translator.

Thank you for your answers.

M LEGRAND

IMG_5509.JPG

Welcome et Poisson D'Avril? :)

So, we known he was with 256th Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery and that his 6 digit service number starts with 117 and possibly ends in 9?

The RGA medal rolls starting 117 start here (on 'Ancestry'): https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/5119/images/41629_626640_11446-00059?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&queryId=86deed20358ca1eb47f81535ac625d50&usePUB=true&_phsrc=AHE10608&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&pId=3614478

With a bit of searching through the next 1000 numbers it may be possible to pinpoint him. I thought it might be Friary, but I don't see that name.

There are a lot of 256th SB men within the 117700-900s range.

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Merci d'avoir sauvé ce trésor et d'avoir publié la photo.

Ernest était connu sous le nom de William et avait un frère jumeau appelé Horace. Il avait 20 ans lorsqu'il a été tué au combat et il est enterré au cimetière Buffs Road, à Ypres.

How very moving, thank you for sharing and taking such care with your repairs.

Ernest, known as William, was 20yrs old when he was killed in action.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/451719/E W SNARY/

Brilliant detective work Ivor.

2 hours ago, LEGRAND said:

Good morning all,

I am French. I live in the north of France. My 17th century house has certainly always been a resting place for soldiers during wars.(WW1 World War I) (The last were German soldiers during World War II).

Right now, I have to redo the attic floor. Under the floor, I find objects of British soldiers from the Great War. Cigarette butts, matchboxes, matches, chocolate wrappers, buttons, playing card and envelope, stamp and letters ...
It is moving to find the traces of the passage of men who left their country for this terrible war.

All these objects that are of value to me because they make the history of this house. But honestly, I don't know if they really have an interest.

So in your opinion, is there such a historic interest in recording all of this?
I await your answers.

M LEGRAND

IMG_5509.JPG

Edited by BarbaraG

He is Remembered here and there is also a photograph.

His parents were Harry (Henry) and Sarah and he had a twin brother Horace.

https://www.rutlandremembers.org/fallen/397/snary-gunner-ernest-william

His CWGC Headstone - Buffs Road, Cemetery, Ypres

@Simon Birch thank you for much clearer photograph.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/11154143/e-w-snary#view-photo=2171162

Edited by BarbaraG

This photo of his grave is perhaps a little clearer. Source: John Stokes.

Snary.jpg.7c5f51c218b94b1de49c47492f26952c.jpg

Thanks David. The magical powers of an administrator! A fascinating and moving story that deserves its own thread.

Snary.jpg.aa10f0325b031f1c78232a92b61ed852.jpg

LEGRAND, Where in France do you live - it may be possible to say when Gunner Snary was there?

Simon

Ernest William et son frère jumeau Horace sont nés à Whissendine le 21 septembre 1897, les plus jeunes enfants de Harry et Sarah Snary. Il était connu sous le nom de William plutôt que d'Ernest. Son jumeau et son frère aîné Harry ont également combattu pendant la première guerre mondiale mais ils ont survécu

William a fréquenté l'école du village jusqu'à l'âge de quinze ans, lorsque, selon George Phillips dans Rutland et la Grande Guerre: «Il était aimé de ses professeurs par sa conduite exemplaire et l'attention qu'il portait à son travail. En quittant l'école, il est allé comme assistant de M. Grocock, épicier, Whissendine, et était connu des villageois, et partout comme un garçon très obligeant. Il était membre du Whissendine Cricket Club et un joueur de cricket très prometteur. »

Il s'engagea dans l'armée le 6 septembre 1916 et se rendit en France le 8 février 1917 avec la 256th Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery. Il a été tué au combat le 4 octobre lors de la troisième bataille d'Ypres (Passchendaele) par un obus éclatant alors qu'il s'abritait dans une pirogue.(abri de tranchée)

Une lettre à ses parents du commandant en chef disait: `` L'artilleur Snary était un soldat très populaire en raison de sa bonne humeur et de sa volonté d'aider ses camarades dans tout, et tous expriment leurs condoléances avec vous pour votre perte. '' Il est enterré à Buffs Road Cimetière près d'Ypres, tombe E.3, aux côtés de trois autres membres de son équipe de tir tués avec lui.

On se souvient de William sur le monument aux morts de Whissedine ainsi que sur une pierre tombale familiale dans le cimetière.

Ernest William and his twin brother Horace were born in Whissendine on September 21, 1897, the youngest children of Harry and Sarah Snary. He was known as William rather than Ernest. His twin and older brother Harry also fought in World War I but survived.

William attended the village school until the age of fifteen, when, according to George Phillips in Rutland and the Great War: “He was loved by his teachers for his exemplary conduct and attention to his work. On leaving school, he went as an assistant to Mr. Grocock, grocer, Whissendine, and was known to the villagers, and everywhere as a very helpful boy. He was a member of the Whissendine Cricket Club and a very promising cricketer. "

He enlisted in the army on September 6, 1916 and went to France on February 8, 1917 with the 256th Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery. He was killed in action on October 4 during the Third Battle of Ypres (Passchendaele) by a bursting shell while taking cover in a dugout. (Trench shelter)

A letter to his parents from the Commander-in-Chief read: 'Gunner Snary was a very popular soldier due to his good humor and willingness to help his comrades in everything, and all express their condolences with you for your loss. . He is buried at Buffs Road Cemetery near Ypres, grave E.3, alongside three other members of his shooting team killed with him.

William is remembered on the Whissedine war memorial as well as on a family gravestone in the cemetery.

Copyright

rutlandremembers.org

Edited by BarbaraG

Vous êtes incroyable. (incroyable ?)

Quel travail!

On peut donc penser que le soldat Ernest William SNARY est venu se reposer dans le grenier de la maison.
J'habite à Anzin-Saint-Aubin, près d'Arras dans le Pas-de-Calais.
J'ai trouvé cette carte. Aucune photo de l'époque ...
Coordonnée.
51B NW 3 CARRÉ G7d G8c G13b G14a

Une photo d'une partie du grenier où il s'est probablement reposé. Cela n'aurait pas dû changer.

Grenier.jpg

CARTE 2.pdf

You're incredible. (amazing?)

What work !

We can therefore think that the soldier Ernest William SNARY came to rest in the attic of the house.
I live in Anzin-Saint-Aubin, near Arras in the Pas-de-Calais.
I found this card. No photo from the time ...
To coordinate.
51B N.W. 3 SQUARES G7d G8c G13b G14a

A photo of part of the attic where he probably rested. It shouldn't have changed.

Si vous me le permettez, j'aimerais envoyer votre photo de l'enveloppe et de votre grenier sur le site Web de Rutland Remembers. Parmi les photographies sur le site Web, il y a celles-ci.

If you allow me, I would like to send your photo of the envelope and your attic to the Rutland Remembers website. Among the photographs on the website are these.

photographs copyright rutlandremembers.org

1421E918-762B-40DB-B859-D34230477BD8.jpeg

E1796161-017A-4E5D-8DE3-747ED03C186A.jpeg

EA3E6536-15A7-424C-91A3-14F1501B53CF.jpeg

• 2 years later...

I found this post researching Gunner 107303 Arthur WHINFREY - 256th Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery (Berkswell War Memorial) who like Gunner Snary was killed in action on 4 Oct 1917 having also landed in France on 8 Feb 1917. Arthur is buried in plot E.5 and Ernest in E.3 at Buffs Road Cemetery (see below - Page 15 for clues about how they both might have been killed). In summary Arthur and Ernest arrived in France, were killed and then buried together and who knows Arthur may also have been in the same loft as Ernest earlier in the war.

At the time of their deaths 256th Siege Battery were under the Command of XVIII Corps, 47th Heavy Artillery Group (HAG). The relevant parts of the war diary for the Commander 47th HAG is transcribed below. Link to diary WO 95/955/4

I hope this is useful to someone

Page 1 -  Wood North of Brandhoek - 4th [Oct 1917] The Heavy Artillery fired in support of the Infantry attack. A "neutralizing" barrage was put down along the whole Corps front by 6" inch Hows.[Howitzers] with the purpose of neutralizing machine guns. Selected strong points came under fire at the same time. On the completion of the barrage 6" Hows. blocked approaches by bursts of fire and 15" and 9.2" Hows. formed a "standing" barrage on cross roads and farms.

Page 15 - Enemy Artillery 6pm 3rd to 6pm 4th .10. 17 - Yesterday evening enemy artillery was fairly activem St Julien, Buffs Road [where Arthur was buried, Kitcheners Wood and Alberta being the chief targets. Later at about midnight a 15cm How. Battery fired fairly heavily on D.7.a and some shell of the same calibre fell in C.23 and on Buffs Road again.

From zero hour this morning onwards the enemy naturally showed considerable activity. His actual barrage against our attack was put down at 6.4am but heavy shelling of the area between our Front Line and the Winnipeg-Zeerselaere Road started at 5.45am. It is not thought that this was in anticipation of our attack but a repetition of the “dawn barrage” reported practically every day.

This barrage continued till about 9.30am when it was reported to break up and become scattered, and shortly afterwards 15 cm Hows. Were reported to be shelling two of our battery positions in C.22.c the first report of any shelling of battery areas.

At about 11.15am the enemy apparently shortened his range, and shelling was reported on the area between our first and final objectives.

From midday onwards enemy artillery quietened down very considerably with the exception of the hour between 2.30 and 3.30 When fairly heavy shelling of V.25 and V.26 took place.

Since 3.30pm only intermittent shelling has been reported on special targets such as well O.P.; Hugel Hollow, Wellington, C.18.a and C.23.c.

The calibres in use were chiefly 15cm, 10.5cm Howiters and H.V guns.

The Westroosebeeke group was undoubtably active, but as usual a considerable amount of fire came from the direction of Passchendaele. END

Page 87 - Casualties 256th Battery - 2/Lt F Scott wounded. 7 Other Ranks killed and 13 Other Ranks wounded.

Edited by ianshuter
typo correction