Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Two Death Plaques on a Family Gravestone

I have come across a family gravestone with two death plaques attached. (Since both are still there I won't say where. Sad but true; they do disappear.)

In theory this shouldn't be all that uncommon, but I haven't seen it before.

Has anyone else seen two (or more) plaques on gravestone?

RM

RaySearching

You can see where they were,  and where the grave marker has been sadly  defaced during there removal

1967597138_MORTLOCKTHOMASHENRYFREDERICK.JPG.ff344f4978a595121a7f66e29bb0b767.JPG

Ray

Thank you. It's such a pity they have been prized off.

(I had wondered if people would think I am a bit paranoid not saying where gravestones with death plaques still attached are.)

RM

depaor01
20 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

...if people would think I am a bit paranoid not saying where gravestones with death plaques still attached are

No.

charlie962
20 hours ago, RaySearching said:

You can see where they were,  and where the grave marker has been sadly  defaced during there removal

Stolen c 1910 acoording to old threads ?

This today ?

156416081_GWFMortlockDeathPenny.JPG.ae4c26159c9856cde5e48fdd39d36b1d.JPG

Edited by charlie962
RaySearching

Charlie 962 

Now that is interesting  (Plaque surfaced and for sale)

The centre plaque from the memorial , Visible damage apparent on the edge of the Mortlock plaque which is for sale 

The police view at the time, (2010)  if my memory serves me right was that the memorial stone was a private stone ,and they could only act if the present owner of the stone (a descendent) made a formal complaint

Ray

• Admin
ss002d6252

Theft/criminal damage doesn't need a complaint from the victim, it can be anyone. The problem is that proving it can be difficult (hence why the victim ideally needs to make the complaint). Obviously at the moment it's all only allege and we have to be very careful about suggesting the seller has any culpability in this.

We need to stay the right side of the line.

Craig

Not suggesting any culpability but a simple Google search on name/number throws up Ray's 2010 post. Basic bit of research would have shown it's been removed from a memorial and described as stolen.

Anyone buying plaques is now going to see or believe there's an inferred crime with this one (assuming they do some research).

Normanby LH Group also mention the removal of the plaques as hopefully by the family themselves.

It is possible this is all totally legit.

If the seller can't sell it now as it's described as stolen without any proof could they take action?

TEW

Can't get on ebay - their server is down.

This one's not on Ebay, see the earlier post with image. Or just Google Mortlock 5429.

TEW

Edited by TEW
Correction
charlie962
15 hours ago, TEW said:

Matlock 5429.

That name and number are perhaps astray so as not to come up on a search? and it was not ebay but a dealer site.

There is no suggestion on my part that current vendor is 'implicated' as the plaque has probably changed hands more than once in 10 years. The damage to the gravestone looks suspicious enough to believe that it was not the family who initiated this however..

Edited by charlie962

Google

Looks like Mortlock became Matlock - predictive text? Post edited.

No one knows when they were removed, they were spotted as missing 11 years ago.

Thanks

TEW

charlie962

In France it was common to have an enamelled plaque with photo on a tombstone in a local village but these too have become victims of theft.

1432596511_GWFPlaqueEmaille.JPG.f00393c47629183f793bb60bf90e794f.JPG