Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

If you have a spare £200k ...

Hedley Malloch

... then you might be interested in this.

https://www.dnw.co.uk/auctions/catalogue/lot.php?auction_id=579&lot_uid=393167&search=1

The citation says the VC was won by 'some grace of providence' which, reading the details, seems to me to be a gross understatement.

AMAZING, a real credit to his Regiment!

Thanks for posting Hedley.

I say. I have a Lottery Lucky Dip this evening. Smashing.

• 2 weeks later...

According to Twitter, the medal was sold for £200k plus commissions and taxes.

I know of one Great War VC that remains with the family...

Bernard

When a footballer earns the equivalent (or more) of the price of a V.C. every week, it makes me wonder what happened to values.

A friend of my Grandads was a cobbler from Clayton (East Manchester) who after WW1 returned to the family shop to continue his trade. I understand that he was encouraged to put his name above the shop which would have read John Reddit V.C. but chose not to cash in.  It was something he never did on the grounds that he was a cobbler by trade and preferred to be judged by his trade skills, he'd been a soldier of the highest order but that part of his life had past. 

For all those in Devon, Essex, Northumberland and wherever else the fans of a football club from near Manchester hail, John Reddit V.C. made the football boots for Man Ure. An achievement  for a man whose shop was based between Man Citys current stadium and their original home (St. Marks, West Gorton). If he'd still been making their boots during the Fergie era I and countless other East Mancunians of a certain persuasion would have paid him handsomely to put the studs on the inside of the sole. Up the blues

Simon

12 hours ago, mancpal said:

When a footballer earns the equivalent (or more) of the price of a V.C. every week, it makes me wonder what happened to values.

A friend of my Grandads was a cobbler from Clayton (East Manchester) who after WW1 returned to the family shop to continue his trade. I understand that he was encouraged to put his name above the shop which would have read John Reddit V.C. but chose not to cash in.  It was something he never did on the grounds that he was a cobbler by trade and preferred to be judged by his trade skills, he'd been a soldier of the highest order but that part of his life had past. 

For all those in Devon, Essex, Northumberland and wherever else the fans of a football club from near Manchester hail, John Reddit V.C. made the football boots for Man Ure. An achievement  for a man whose shop was based between Man Citys current stadium and their original home (St. Marks, West Gorton). If he'd still been making their boots during the Fergie era I and countless other East Mancunians of a certain persuasion would have paid him handsomely to put the studs on the inside of the sole. Up the blues

Simon

Different times, different values. Reddit would not be allowed to do it now. He would be a 'celebrity' whether he liked it or not.  I was speaking to the mother of V.C. holder who had been killed in action. She said that she did not like the manner in which her late son's achievements had been annexed by institutions such as the government and press, and that she and her family had not been allowed to mourn him privately.