Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gapaert ferme in Flanders...

Chris Boonzaier

... was the scene of an action on the 2nd of July 1917, involving the German Landwehr Infantry Regiment 384.

No matter where I look... I cannot find a mention :-(

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Chris

Chris.

Is it the action or the place that you seek? If it's the place , look to the north of Dixmude.

Dave. ;)

There is a "Gapaert" in Wytschaete. (Belgium). It is on the road Ypres to Warneton. a little bit north of the crossroads Messines- Comines, Ypres -Warneton.

In the battlebook of Ypres it is said "Gapaert - (Gapaard) ' at Warneton but it is Wytschate

Thanks guys, that puts me more or less in the right place.

All the best

Chris

Chris,

Can you give more details about the action on 2 july ?

Gapaard close to ferme Deconinck.. also 10k (kilometerstone 10). On a map Wytschaete edition SW 28 1-4-1917, O35, the name Gapaard is not mentioned.

I am not sure exactly what happened, just that SOMETHING happened. Enough that a few german soldiers were commended for their part in the action (maybe a patrol?).

I suppose a regt. history is the only thing that can be hoped for here. :-(

All the best

Chris

Chris.

Where exactly was the LJR 384 at this time? I thought they were on the Ijserfront at this date (vicinity of Schoorbakke/Tervate on the River Yser) facing the Belgians?

Dave.

Difficult unit to find.

One reference has the 20th landwehr division being formed in Sept-October 1916, the 384th LIR at menin, the 386th at renaix, the 387th at Goosecant (sp?) then moved to Dixmude-Schoorbakke until November 1917 (ok, see what you mean.... hardly an area covered in English language books, and little to be found in my german ones... :-(

Chris,

The 16 Inf. Div. (General Dieffenbach)- from armygroup Wytschaete was there. - You may not know this, but there were 3 German armygroups - 1. Group Ypres (Ypern) . 2. Group Wytschaete 3. Group Lille.

I know that the German 28th I.R. was between '4 koningen' (4 kings cabaret)- at the crossroads Messines -Comines, and Ypres - Warneton. and Warneton - I know also that the German I.R. 68. I.R. 29 and Res. I.R. 84 were there.

What is the story of the Britisch troops?? Wich battalion?

• 1 year later...
Guest steenstraat

The LIR 384 was in that period at the Yserfront. Not south of Ypres.

Gapaert was an Abschnitt - named after a farm - right in front and southwest of Oud-Stuivekenskerke. In that Abschnitt ther was also a farmhouse called De Torenhof. It lay between Abschnitt Vandewoude on the north and Abschnitt Tank (The Petroleumtanks) on the southside, all on the left bank of the Yser in front of the Belgian lines, and so nortwest of Dixmude.

On old maps of the Yser (Topographical ones, or military) it is situated between B14 (borne 14) and B16 (borne 16) on the Yserbanks. On Google Earth this or the coördinates: 51° 03' 04.78'' N 2° 50' 44.53'' E

On modern topographical maps or others try to locate Oud-Stuivekenskerke or Onze-Lieve-Vrouwhoekje. This was in front of Abschnitt Gapaert.

Have you any further information?

Perhaps in Belgian regimental of other histories there might be a clue?

Guest steenstraat

In the RG of RIR 246 I find that they relieved the LIR 384 at the city ofDixmude in the night of 28 on 29 octobre 1917.

The frontsector Dixmude started in the north about at Schoorbakke/Tervaetebridge and ended in the south at Merkem. So they were indeed at the Yser and in front of Belgian troops. Certainly at the Abschnitt Gapaert.

There is a RG of LIR 384.

P. ARNOLD, 1916-1918 Regimentsgeschichte des Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiments Nr. 384, from 1939. It counts only about 50 pages.

:D