Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Larch Wood (Railway Cutting) Concentration of Graves Returns

Simon Birch

Does anyone know how to get / or already has, the concentration forms for this cemetery? I want to know if there are any unknown RFC/RAF pilots that were concentrated there from German cemetery's, in particular the occupant of grave 1.A.11.

If anyone could guide me to looking in the right place i would be very grateful.

Many thanks,

Simon

That is really helpful and just the job; 

Many Thanks & Best Wishes,

Simon

Hello,

1. A. 11 came from Kortemark, it was a Second Lieutenant died on 30 August 1918.

Jan

I agree Jan, CWGC have a case on this officer, asking for his potential grave to be recognised, given that he was the only RAF officer to die that day who does not already have a marked grave.

We will see, eventually, what the CWGC and NAM make of it.

Simon

Remarkable to see how some names of identified men are crossed out and changed into "unknown British soldier".

Roel

This grave and others are already on the forum: 

The case of FltSubLt PG McNeil was rejected by JCCC last month because it is based on the date on the headstone only, we feared that this would happen (see the note in the linked topic above). German cemetery lists or data would help a lot but VDK doesn't have it or want to share it.

A report for 2Lt Pike HG has been submitted in January 2019, there is an additional argument which should help this case: The height reported on the special exhumation report for grave 1A11 (Approx. 5'-9") is a perfect match with the medical data in his service record. Fingers crossed...

Luc.

4 hours ago, LDT006 said:

This grave and others are already on the forum: 

The case of FltSubLt PG McNeil was rejected by JCCC last month because it is based on the date on the headstone only, we feared that this would happen (see the note in the linked topic above). German cemetery lists or data would help a lot but VDK doesn't have it or want to share it.

A report for 2Lt Pike HG has been submitted in January 2019, there is an additional argument which should help this case: The height reported on the special exhumation report for grave 1A11 (Approx. 5'-9") is a perfect match with the medical data in his service record. Fingers crossed...

Luc.

Fingers crossed indeed.

Thanks Luc,

Simon