The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lewis Gun Skill Patch/Badge

ilkley remembers

Trying to find out when Lewis Gun Skill Patch was first authorised. Looked on this forum and on the internet but cannot find a definitive answer

Regards

IR 

47 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

Trying to find out when Lewis Gun Skill Patch was first authorised. Looked on this forum and on the internet but cannot find a definitive answer

Regards

IR 

Unfortunately this was one of a number of badges introduced during the course of the war, probably via BEF orders and, as is often the case, then retrospectively endorsed by formal army instructions.  In this case the Army Council Instruction (ACI) was ACI 418 of 1924!  My understanding is that the badge was probably introduced in 1916, but forum member @Muerrischmight be able to offer more granularity.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you @FROGSMILE member @Muerrisch has messaged me quoting an AO from 17. As you suggest the use of the patch appears to predate the AO which may have served to formalise what was already practice amongst troops in the front line.

Regards

IR

5 hours ago, ilkley remembers said:

Thank you @FROGSMILE member @Muerrisch has messaged me quoting an AO from 17. As you suggest the use of the patch appears to predate the AO which may have served to formalise what was already practice amongst troops in the front line.

Regards

IR

I’m glad to help, 1917 makes sense, 1916 authorisation would have been perhaps a little too soon after the Lewis Guns were issued at scale to infantry battalions.  

Edited by FROGSMILE