Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Charles Caddock Evans - Military Foot Police 9841 & RA 70660

Thomas Jones

Hi, Hywyn helped us discover another relative with a military past, William Charles Caddock-Evans born 17 Nov 1897 in Llanddona.  Hywyn discovered he was in the Military Foot Police, 9841.  Reading about this role here in the forum.  His address in 1914 was 5 Panton Street, Bangor (loads lived in this tiny house) and was on the Absent Voting List.  We found a a document that he enlisted in 1912 aged 14 and also has a Royal Artillery number 70660.  Cannot find an MIC, so does this mean he wasn't in the War? Would he have had any medals? best, Tom 

image.png.e880b1842499c335615574b9f373278a.png

Ancestry/Fold3 seem to have one document for him as William Charles Caddock EVANS 70660 under their "UK, Royal Hospital Chelsea Pensioner Soldier Service Records"

I've not got access - is this your source?  Or perhaps worth a look.

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

Thanks Matlock, yeah not a lot of info on Ancestry only what I pasted on here. I’ll try different spellings.  I have a feeling he may just be listed under William evans... and there’s thousands of them 😄, Best, Tom

From 'Onglesey', really ??? ;-)

'Anglesey' doesn't do any better in the Pension Record cards [nor Bangor] so not any more helpful I'm afraid.

Good luck !!! [You'll probably need it!]

Edited by Matlock1418

I don't know if the Military Foot Police used many prefixes with their numbers, but if not the only match in the medal index cards in the National Archive catalogue for that service number is Lance Corporal P/9841 Charles Evans. https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D2725369

Unfortunately I can only see the preview version on the National Archive site - as its a Silver War Badge Card it doesn't appear to show up on my free account on Ancestry.

Doesn't look like he served aboard, but shows him enlisted (I think !) 15th January 1914 and discharged 13th February 1919 under Kings Regs Para 392(xvi) - which basically means no longer physically fit for service. The Silver War Badge Roll itself can be seen as an image on Ancestry and in transcript on FindMyPast. The amount of information these contain varies enormously, but hopefully in this case it will include age last birthday and whether served overseas or not. (Sorry - I've exhausted my quota of lookups this month so can't check it out).

I'm not seeing any surviving service records for him indexed on FindMyPast.

As he was discharged on health grounds there may be Ministry of Pension details for him - so over to  @Matlock1418 to pick up the baton :)

Hope that helps,

Peter

Edited by PRC
Typo

52 minutes ago, PRC said:

so over to  @Matlock1418 to pick up the baton :)

Been there and cupboard was bare - under William Evans 

Edit: However see now Charles Evans below :-)

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

RESULT! just found he got married under the name Charles Evans. Looking now... back soon, thanks

Edited by Thomas Jones

Just now, Thomas Jones said:

RESULT! 

Well, go on tell!

:D sorry in my excitement, i hit the button and it posted

And still we wait!

For some reason he got married under the name Charles tp Mary Evans so searching down that route now. Will post when found more .  Many thanks for your help. 

image.png.ffda180f509ecc60f7039ecb5ab3950e.png

Well., I've found something too.

WFA/Fold3 Pension Records

EVANS, Charles

Labour Corps 708197

MFP 9841

RN K/59663

???

Just now, Matlock1418 said:

WFA/Fold3 Pension Records

EVANS, Charles

Labour Corps 708197

MFP 9841

RN K/59663

aha, so Labour Corps too. starting to get a picture here, thats great!! 

RN K/59663

Royal Navy? wow

And found more for Evans, Charles - L Cpl P/9841 - but that then goes and confuses things! [Well it confuses me - not being that familiar with MFP]

Gives an address in 28 Fennday St, Coseley, Near Bilston [West Midlands]  Married, Discharged 13-2-19  VDH attrib to service

RN K/59663 Stoker II

Labour Corps 708197

Mil Foot Police P/9814

RW Fus - but no number

???

Edited by Matlock1418
addition

Okay, his wife Mary Evans was from the was from the borders/Shropshire (almost West Midlands) so that may work out too. i'll have a look... :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, Thomas Jones said:

Shropshire (almost West Midlands)

Yes, geographically speaking

Another Pension card for P/9841 discharged 13.2.19 marked File to Welsh Region 9.12.19

Yes that sounds about right.  Once I get the '39 Census, will have a good picture for him.  Been a great help Matlock.

20 minutes ago, Thomas Jones said:

Royal Navy? wow

Just noticed: The first Pension card found with K/59663 has HMS Victory on it - was that possibly a training establishment??  Certainly a RN shore establishment.

The card also has Training No 1811 [the strikethrough is on the card - but on the last card viewed has similar annotation but not struckthrough ???]

Enjoy!

That's just awesome Matlock!  Really appreciate your help on this.  I hit a wall but now there's loads to get together. Best, Tom :thumbsup:

41 minutes ago, Thomas Jones said:

RESULT! just found he got married under the name Charles Evans.

Just found/seen your earlier edit - well. well - Charles Evans eh?

Got him by another route, but glad it seems to help