Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Triple Tambour Fricourt

ddavidd80

Hi, i’m David, i’m french, i live in Carnoy 80300.

I search Ww1 pictures, map, and all.... about the triple tambour in Fricourt.

Thanks

Bonjour David

This map is from the July 1916 War Diary of the Commander Royal Engineers 9 Division. It shows the German Tambour in square F 3 b (TNA - Ancestry)

The next map is from the IGN 2408 E Bray Sur Somme.

I have seen reports about the Tambours in Royal Engineers War Diaries I will try and find them.

Brian

001 (2).JPG

002 (2).JPG

Hi David and welcome to the forum.  Here is the Triple Tambour on a modern map and on a 1916 trench map.

image.png.e5ca353761a1c9c4fc84196588f70c82.png

5 minutes ago, ddavidd80 said:

I’m the owner of the wooded part.

That is really interesting.  Could you post a photo of how it looks at ground level when you have a moment?

It was in the WD of 178 Tunnelling Company RE that I saw references to the Tambour. I will have a read.

The attack near the Tambour on 01/07/1916 was made by 50 Infantry Brigade, 17 Div but attached to 21 Div. The best map I could find was this one from the WD of 6 Dorsets (TNA WO 95/2000 - Ancestry)

Brian

dorset.jpg

Edited by brianmorris547
typo

From the War Diary of 178 Tunnelling Company RE (WO 95/405/1 & 405/2)

10/01/1916  "Recennoitred a new area N A TAMBOOR  where mining against a German salient evidently strongly fortified has been suggested. Disposal of earth the main problem".

There followed reports of German blows

08/02/1916   "Enemy exploded mine in Tambour Duclos F 3 c 5 / 95 at 1020 am. Some damage to our galleries".

There is a report of a German bombing raid on 22/02/1916 and a sketch map of where the Germans attacked.

01/07/1916  "Mines in G 3 E, G 19 A exploded at 7 28. G 15 b not successful". (G presumably stands for Gallery)

At the end of the WD is Operational Order No 1 which records that it was the job of No 4 Section to explode those mines and then to report to the 50 Brigade HQ at F 8 a 5 3.

No 4 Section was then to carry out an exploration and destination of the enemy mine system in the Tambour.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Continuing this thread ...Here's an aerial photo of Fricourt from 1947, not only showing Fricourt, and the Tambour, but also very clearly, the filled in British trench systems in the fields to the West of the Tambour.

I'm super keen to see any pictures from ground level from David of the Tambour today, and also any explanation why the ground was not levelled and the craters filled in, which took place on battlefields of the Western Front ( Thankfully, they weren't ).  Is the Tambour area used for grazing sheep, such as at Vimy, or has it been saved as a historical heritage site . I seem to remember a Peter Barton documentary filmed at the Tambour, also, a few years back. Can any kind forum member , remember the name of it ?

Fricourt_and_Tambour_Aerial_photo_1947.jpg.e34ee1d437966ea65eb3287b09f897e4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
hello, sorry for the delay, I was overwhelmed. here are some photos taken today.
The first is a big mine hole, even if we do not realize it, it is deep.

752CBE43-8C49-43BD-A7A4-D7F4313F8530.jpeg.4fe7ec9c4ab3956d65d23a80f49ed54b.png