Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Thomas Walter Bailey and John Potter

Leila

Looking for service records for Thomas Walter Bailey b 1899 Risby, Suffolk son of Ben and Florence Bailey.

All I have is a hand written note from the Vicar who listed men who served in the war and it says

J47064 Navy.

On this same note John William Potter born 4th May 1891 Risby, son of Alfred and Rose Potter.

no other details

Thank you

This question has been raised in the last few days on RootsChat.Com in respect of John William Potter. These are my findings that I posted on RootsChat

John William Potter born Risby, Suffolk on the 4th May 1891.

Looking at the Army Medal Rolls for WW1 I find that there are 5 John W Potter entries, none depicting a regiment local to Suffolk. A further look at the Medal Rolls shows that there are 37 John William Potter entries. There is 1 who was in the Suffolk Regiment, details:

Private 14488 Potter, John William of the 8th Battalion later transferred to the 2nd Battalion. He was awarded the Victory Medal and the British War Medal

It is possible that this is your man. If it is, I'm afraid that his service record was destroyed during the bombing of London in WW2

I always look at the Medal Rolls records as I find that these often reflect a little more info than the MICs. An example is the one that shows his full name of John William and that he transferred from the 8th Battalion to the 2nd Battalion -- this is information that isn't shown on the MIC. I must admit that in this case, the MIC shows that he was overseas by the 25 July 1915, this isn't shown on the Medal Rolls. Both records in this instance give a fuller picture.

There is a MIC for a John W Potter which shows that he was in the Suffolk Regiment (service number 290744) and then transferred to the Durham Light Infantry (service number 78781). This man died on the 19 October 1918 (aged 19 years). The CWG entry shows that he was born in Liverpool and his parents were Frederick John and Rose Ellen. We can discount this man.

Allan1892

Thank you for reply, I don't have fmp subscription.

Re your posting on rootschat - I have PM to person who requested this, quite a coincidence that we were both looking for same man.  They are actually looking further at your suggestion of Suffolk Reg.

Thank you

• Admin
1 hour ago, Leila said:

Allan1892

Thank you for reply, I don't have fmp subscription.

Re your posting on rootschat - I have PM to person who requested this, quite a coincidence that we were both looking for same man.  They are actually looking further at your suggestion of Suffolk Reg.

Thank you

You can get his record for free  from TNA - just register first (also free) https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6945991