Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

whats the meaning of

BIFFO

means ?ah  having bad eyes at the moment,have just worked out inco means 1 nco silly billy me,I would have cancelled this post but canny

inco.jpg

Edited by BIFFO

Perhaps it reads "1 NCO and 18 men for 2? days field small rolling picquets"   Though it doesn't much look like "rolling" to me.

GH

Not rolling, I think. Looks like it ends ',,,lying' ... 'Outlying', perhaps?

57 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Not rolling, I think. Looks like it ends ',,,lying' ... 'Outlying', perhaps?

Could be.  Looks like "holying" to me.  A squad of roving padres, anyone?

Inlying perhaps. The N looks like the N in garrison and find.

Not Flying Picquets.

Brian

Sorry chaps my mistake,once I had posted I saw 1 nco,NOT inco,if I could have deleted the post I would have,but as I dont know how I didnt.

Now this ISNT an excuse BUT if I say I am going to our eye hospital next tuesday  to get a date for cataracts,this is why all my posts are in bold,

opps sorry thank you all for your help

Biffo  

Biffo,  you'll be a new man.  Had mine done 2 years ago (early onset, due to previous injuries )  Now I don't need specs at all  unless I have to read or do close work.  

The worst of it is having to buy box loads of cheap reading specs to replace those I lose.....  My next batch are stuck on the Suez canal.  

20 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

Biffo,  you'll be a new man.  Had mine done 2 years ago (early onset, due to previous injuries )  Now I don't need specs at all  unless I have to read or do close work.  

I can endorse the Gunner's remarks. I had mine done in 2014. I still need reading glasses but otherwise I don't need them at all, for the first time since I was six. You'll be a bit disorientated between the two operations but otherwise fine.

Ron

thank you for your engouragement ,to be honest im a bit fed up,NOW I AINT MOANING cos there are far worseBUT I cannot walk ,cannot breath,have blood disorderer ,seem to go forward a yard backward two,,when I go for my consultation next week if its to long dear wife says she will buy me another birthday present,one eye op,reason its not two eye op,I can only see properly outta one eye,nearly had a free labradour years ago.

Lifes good a bit blurred at the moment :thumbsup:

46 minutes ago, BIFFO said:

bit blurred at the moment

Know what you mean, Biffo.

My first op. on the 13th.

Hope all goes well for you.

:thumbsup:

As Steven intimated the expression was to “find” outlying or inlying “picqets”.  That was typical infantry speak even in more recent times.  The word “find” in that context meant provide or furnish.  Ergo 1 NCO and 18 men were to be committed to that task.  There were also “inlying” picquets.  The spelling picquet was archaic but still used by the Army.  It used to appear on pre printed guard reports but I’m not sure if that’s still the case now that computers are used.  Everything started to change once they were.

Edited by FROGSMILE